Pump and bio filter sizing

Reaction score
Newbie trying to size my pumps and bio filter and having some difficulty on defining my base line. I have an approx. 40,000 gal clay pond. I read that bio filter size has nothing to do with how well it will works. More importantly its based upon the quality of the environment, which water flow is one of them. I understand that you should have a complete water change every 4 hours within your pond.

If I use the above as a general rule that would require me (1) 10,000 gph pump at head pressure or two (2) 5,000 gph pumps. Is this correct?

For bio filter I thought I read somewhere on this forum that the optimal flow for a bio filter is 1150 gph for a 55 gal bio filter. That requires me to construct a 478 gal bio filter? Is this correct?

I've been using these two points to develop my base line. How does pond size play a factor or am I even correct on my data?

I assume at some point that it would not even be feasible for a filter a pond too large.

Thanks

Reaction score
Based upon my numbers above, attached is what I have in mind for bio filter. That is assuming I am sizing this correctly. For some reason I'm telling myself this is not correct. Construction will consist of pouring a slab, building block walls, then fiberglass the inside. Please critique me.

Attachments

• FILTER CHAMBER PLAN.jpg
    FILTER CHAMBER PLAN.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 512

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My eyes dont work as good as they use to i guess...its hard to see that pic.
but you are right ..you need to move a lot of water and have a large filter..

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My eyes dont work as good as they use to i guess...its hard to see that pic.
but you are right ..you need to move a lot of water and have a large filter..

Reaction score
You should be able to open and zoom in on the sketch. Should have a zoom feature at the bottom right of your screen or just click to zoom

Going to be starting my rough in soon so I want to be sure I got this planned correctly. I'm moving alot faster on this pond project than expected and its some of these planning pieces that are slowing me down.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Wow i do have a zoom its like a new toy,,,thanks i need it
With the larger filter you will be able to move a lot more gph thru it ..
All off the pipes thru the filter need to be 4" too keep up with the flow.
The plan looks like it should work good.

Ask a Question