Pump and Filter advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace my pump and filter and like the idea of having the pump outside of the pond, firstly as it would look nicer and secondly there would be less maintenance in not having to clean the pump filter grill. Could someone please give me some help and advice as I do no know anything about the pros and cons of an external pump.
My pond is approx. 1400 litres and approx 60cm deep with a small waterfall which at the top is approx 1m above the bottom level of the pond and waterfall width is approx 20cm.
I have been looking at the Bioforce 3000uvc: 1350 pressurised filter and Aquarius Universal 1500 pump which would be sited outside of the pump.

Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know one thing you will want a self priming pump with a basket .I don't really care for external because that means taking them in when winter gets here and having to put a heater and a submerged pump in the pond .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies so far (apart from the spam adverts) :(
What flow rate pump would you suggest for my pond based on the description in my opening post. I assume that if I go for an external pump I will need a higher output as it has to suck water from the pond through as pipe as well as pumping back into the pond. Can external pumps be used to feed a pressurised filter ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never used a submersible pump, except for tiny ones in fish tanks,.

I prefer external, turn my pond off for the winter, this winter just ran a pond breather to keep air exchange going on in the pond.
You just need to get a pump that will move around 1400 liters of water per hour. The pdf for the filter says to no more than 2000 liters per hour. So a pump that flows as 2000 liters per hour external or submersible would work.

I would guess that any pump would work with a pressurized filter, if it is sized correctly. I do not use any filter except a bog, so I can not speak from experience.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Addy1 for your reply, very helpful.
I think I have now decided to go the external pump route but one thing I am unsure about is how to go about the suction pipe in the pond.
The pump will be outside of the pond and below the water level connected to a pipe fed from the pond. Can this pipe be placed over the edge of the pond and the end anchored to the bottom somehow (advice appreciated) and does there have to be some sort of a filter over the end of the pipe to stop newts etc being sucked up. Also if there was a blockage I assume that the pump would burn out quite quickly.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Addy1 for your reply, very helpful.
I think I have now decided to go the external pump route but one thing I am unsure about is how to go about the suction pipe in the pond.
The pump will be outside of the pond and below the water level connected to a pipe fed from the pond. Can this pipe be placed over the edge of the pond and the end anchored to the bottom somehow (advice appreciated) and does there have to be some sort of a filter over the end of the pipe to stop newts etc being sucked up. Also if there was a blockage I assume that the pump would burn out quite quickly.

My pump is set just about level with the pond water (my pond is on a slope) it primes very easily. The pipe goes over the edge of the pond. The suction pipe I have go into the pond stopping around 2 feet above the bottom, (5.5 foot deep area) . I use a 3 inch pvc pipe wide open, but I took a lowes 5 gallon bucket, drilled a ton of 1 inch holes into the bucket, put the pipe through the lid of the bucket. I wrapped the bucket with matala filter material. You want something coarse, not too loose weave, so it stops the fry, tads, snails etc from being sucked up.

Even before I used the matala filter material I had it wrapped in netting, and various other stuff. Never had a blockage in the pipe. Use a large pipe, the largest the pump will accept, mine was 3 inches.

If it gets too covered with algae, snails, stuff, I just brush it off with the pool brush.

Twice a year, spring / fall I take a pool leaf net and clean the bottom of the pond, I don't get a lot of debris in the bottom.

Ask a Question