Pump and filter plans

Reaction score
I have a 130 gallon small pond. Right now I have a submersible Pondmaster system. I absolutely hate it. It is constantly getting clogged and then it floats to the top of the pond and dumps all the dirty water into the pond. Does anyone have any plans or suggestions for a DIY system that could be set up outside of my pond? I would really appreciate it.

Chrissy

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hi Chrissy,,, you can look at the 55 gal drum filter,,,and make it smaller in a 5 gal bucket,,,just look at the plans we have on the forum

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
For media, you could use lava rock. it will give you a lot of surface area for a 5 gallon bucket. Another possibility is marbles. They are cheap and will backflush very well without losing the anerobic bacteria.
You will need a large dump valve in the bottom to make it easy to clean.

Reaction score
Let me see if I have this right. When you say backflush is that just a matter of opening the valve at the bottom of the bucket and letting the sludge and yucky water run out on its own? Also I can't find any pictures of how the pump works into the bucket. Should I take my pondmaster pump and the tube that I would normally use for the fountain and extend the tube to reach the top of the bucket? Also I have seen some people use the trickle bar i guess that is what it is called, in many positions. Some have it on top of the media at the top of the bucket and some have a pvc pipe going to the bottom of the bucket and then the trickle bar is there. What do you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You want your pump to send the water to the bottom of the filter so the water has to perculate it's way back up to the overflow back tho the pond. The time it takes allows the anerobic bacteria to do it's work and for solids to settle in the bottom. When you open the dump valve it allows the water in the filter to backflush the media.
It coudn't be more simple than this.

Reaction score
Thanks Dr. Dave. I think I am going to try making this pump out of a plastic Flower Pot. That way it can blend into the scenery around the pond. Do I have to have a lid on top of the filter? Thanks alot for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Ask a Question