Pump and filter suggestion for 3500 gallon pond

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. With no fish (or just mosquito fish) you probably don't need a filter at all or at most a skimmer to remove leaves and such. If you can post pictures or drawings of what you have in mind that would help and of course we all love pictures.

If you're planning on a waterfall feature that pump will certainly move a lot of water, so that seems good. Again, knowing more specifics of your plan will help.

Welcome,

John

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

I haven't actually broke ground yet. I know where in my yard I would like it. I have an estimate for the land work, now I am trying to see what everything else costs. Basically to see if I can afford what I want. I would like fish at one point. One of my friends has a nice koi pond, but I don't think I can afford that right off the bat. I will see if I can get something sketched out, or find a picture similar to what I would like.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !
If you build your own filter the price will look a lot better

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no fish...means no filter needed except maybe a pre-pump mechanical filter for removing dead plant matter etc.... now if your gonna build a pond and fill it with plants. you might consider a few fish anyways... for some pest (insect) control and a steady supply of a natural fertilizer for the plants

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomestars4.gif
thedave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome glad you joined!

Without fish, no pump or filter needed, but if you want fish down the road lay pipes to handle a filter and pump so you can hook it up later.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
even if you dont have fish..your still gonna want some water movement so the water doesnt stagnate, and for misquitoe control...misquitoes will much sooner procreate in still, stagnant water over moving water, as well as other pests.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well true, I put an aerator (one bubbler) in my lotus pond which kept the mosquitos at bay, then tossed in a few minnows, towards the end of the summer. Never saw any of the those biting critters. It is a 300 gallon tank for my lotus, no pump, no filtration

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome you could add mosquito blocks but you still might want to filter it a tiny just like they do with hydroponic gardening .I have seen hydroponic gardens that are built around a fish pond where they run the water under the plant roots and then it goes back around to the fish pond .They say the fish waste helps fertilize the plants .Like a bog would be set up .Like addy's bog

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
GOTCHA ADDY...BUT THEIR TALKING 3500 GALS.

I have a pondmaster 100 running right now in my pond, it is moving 3/4 of the surface area in waves. 27ft x 15 ft or so, that would keep their pond mosquito free lol. That sucker puts out some air.

Ask a Question