pump and head pressure question...

Reaction score
planniong to use a skimmer and a pump rated for 2200 gph , 18 ft of 1 1/2 flex pipe going to a waterfall filter with a 20 in. spilway, filter is about 3 1/2 ft high off water level, what kind of flow would I get out of waterfall spillway ? would it be too weak? I dont need it to be rageing rapids of course but want it to be ok thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
that depends on the pump...you running 5 to 5.5' of head . the 3.5' + 18' (10' of horizontal run pipe is equal to 1" vertical so check your pumps flow rate for your pump at 5 to 5.5' of head. these stats are usually online if you google your pump.

Reaction score
i have heard you need about 100GPH for each in of waterfall weir. so you would need a pump that does about 2000GPH at 5.5 ft of head. but that all depends how thick of water you want coming over the weir. i have also read somewhere that a fall shouldn't be over 3ft because the sheet of water will break up to much and not look nice. Maybe a 2ft waterfall would look better and you would have less head pressure so you would get more flow. but check out these Waterfall Weir Rates to be more accurate.

Ask a Question