Pump and Hose Size

Reaction score
Hello all. I currently have about 300 gallons between 2 ponds (upper runs into lower). I am trying to get a more efficient and possibly smaller pump, since my current one just went out, and I am also going to increase the size of my ponds to about 500 gallons total. My current setup has the following:

Pondmaster Mag-Drive (PM 24) 2400 gph @ 255 Watts (1" inlet & 1" outlet)
2" Flexible PVC into and out of the pump
~ 40ft run between the pump and a 30gl. barrel I used for a bio-waterfall (bottom fed)
~ 5-1/2 ft head (top of pond to top of waterfall)

So, my question is whether reducing the 2" outlet to 1-1/2" or 1" will make it easier to push the water or harder? I know that smaller tubing will restrict it more, but I was thinking that the extra volume in the 2" is making it heavier to push. Also, by getting a shorter barrel for the waterfall should help also, as the current one is ~ 30" high. My guesstimate on that is about 250 lbs. of water. Flow over a 12" weir seems pretty good at this setup.

I am having to take up the liner anyways, so if I need to re-plumb the lines, that isn't an issue.

Can anyone tell me if my thoughts are correct? I just want to know what size of pump I can get away with and whether to change the hose size?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at laguna i got mine .I got a 2900 gph and runs 115 watts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
smaller hose may push more but sometimes makes the pump work harder .I had 1pump burn out because it was pumping 1250 gph through a half inch hose .Should have put a splitter on it and I didn't and used 2 hoses

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hate to say but I just
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42777]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42776]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:42778]
use sump pump hose only 10 dollars plus stainless steel clamps and been using it over 3 years and use it in my stock tanks also .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
as a general rule ...a larger size hose is almost aloways better. and better for your pump. the less resistance to flow, the less wear on the pump. this is especially true before the pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well got the laguna pump and had to send it back they sent me the power jet one instead of the maxflo one .It was the right box but the pump inside was a power jet pump and only 2000 gph .Wonder how that could have happened .I called them and they told me to send it back and they would pay me back the shipping .

Ask a Question