pump broke down; fish dead

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pump broke down overnight and 12 of my 17 one year old koi fish died. I honestly think I'm done with this hobby. Does anyone have any ideas on how/where to sell my remaining fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to read this - shocked something could happen like this just like that

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in Northern New Jersey. I have 5 one year old platinum ogons ranging in size. I also have a 20" platinum ogon female and a ~16" platinum ogon male.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am so sorry this happened, it must have been a terrible shock for you. If you decide to stick with the hobby, consider running more then one pump....just in case one dies.

I'm not close to you, but sounds like you have some beautiful koi. Posting here and on craigslist, should work....again, so very sorry :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I had a bigger pond to help: I'm prob an hour or so away from you

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So sorry you lost fish and feel the need to give up. If you do decide to close your pond you should have no trouble finding homes. I would love to have them but too far. Do reconsider though- A lot of us have had disasters and lost fish. I know I've had several over the years. Use it as a learning experience and keep ponding! Let us know what you decide to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Story changed a bit. After I cleaned out the pond and got the pump running, I left the 5 remaining fish in there. I came back a little later and saw they weren't doing too well. They're all moved to a new pond now, but I tested their water and I've never seen ammonia levels so high. What could have caused that? They were at 0 yesterday, but today they're way past the red zone...it's amazing those 5 could even have survived. Did someone put something in my pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like something was put in the pond to me, but who would do that?

Ask a Question