Pump comes after filter?

Reaction score
hello this is my first post.

I have heard that the pump must come after all filters and sediment tank so that debris is not broken up by the pump into unfilterable sized pieces? This apparently makes your filter last longer? How much of this is true?

Also doing the above would mean there is no way to do a seive filter, Just a filter net so that you can maintain suction as pump pulls water to sediment tank then to filter then to waterfall.

Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hello , its ideal but its not feasible always , it all depends on the design , need and conditions , the benefit is as you have mentioned but the cons are its pressure will decrease as the filter clogs and pump can get dry , need good accurate design and larger setup will need very wide piping and usually bottom drain is needed . i may be getting wrong picture , you can show your pond and your plan or pics to answer better . on the other hand if you place pump inside pond or inside skimmer then the system is fairly simple you just need a bog type filter and ready to go .

Reaction score

I have heard that the pump must come after all filters and sediment tank so that debris is not broken up by the pump into unfilterable sized pieces? This apparently makes your filter last longer? How much of this is true?

Also doing the above would mean there is no way to do a seive filter, Just a filter net so that you can maintain suction as pump pulls water to sediment tank then to filter then to waterfall.

Thank you
"Must" is kind of a strong word to use in this hobby. It's true that if you want to incorporate a sediment tank or a sieve filter in your pond system then it's going to work a lot more efficiently if it's gravity fed. However, it's no crime to have the pump located directly after the sediment tanks to catch the worst of the bulky stuff and then pump the water to various other filters, and most sieve filters by design have the pumps located directly after them and the water gets pumped onto finer mechanical filters and\or bio-filters.

Reaction score
Plan is to have bottom drain and skimmer going to a collection box/sediment box then onto a filter. I really like idea of seive but that would cause a break in the chain of suction.

Could pump be a sumbersible pump within the sediment box to help muffle any sound(I assume external pumps are loud no matter how high dollar they are(this will be 15,000 pond so likely a large pump.

Original plan was pressurized bead filter from Sacramento koi following their diagrams as they are compact enough to fit under a porch out of view up on a hill, as I have limited space at the level of my pond to have bulky DIY filters. However I have heard Pressurized bead filters don't get the water real clean and are ridiculously expensive.

Reaction score
Actually a sieve filter must be before the pump to be effective. They are designed to be that way. In high end ponds the sieve's main job is to remove fish poo which is the most concerning solid waste. Things like leaves don't break down as fast or are nutrient rich. Poo breaks up very easy. The sieve also gets the poo out of the water so it doesn't break down and return stuff to the pond water less useful filters do.

In serious filter systems there are multiply kinds of find each doing a specific job. Generally we're trying to remove larger stuff first. That makes the next filter's job easier, less prone to clogging. So there there sure isn't any rule that a pump should be before or after filters...the rule depends on the filter. A pressurized filter, like a bead filter, sand/gravel, etc..., have to be after the pump. Most types of filters, UV, Shower, Trickle, etc... can go after the pump and it's easier to do so, but most assume some previous filter as removed large stuff first.

Reaction score
Actually a sieve filter must be before the pump to be effective. They are designed to be that way. In high end ponds the sieve's main job is to remove fish poo which is the most concerning solid waste. Things like leaves don't break down as fast or are nutrient rich. Poo breaks up very easy. The sieve also gets the poo out of the water so it doesn't break down and return stuff to the pond water less useful filters do.

In serious filter systems there are multiply kinds of find each doing a specific job. Generally we're trying to remove larger stuff first. That makes the next filter's job easier, less prone to clogging. So there there sure isn't any rule that a pump should be before or after filters...the rule depends on the filter. A pressurized filter, like a bead filter, sand/gravel, etc..., have to be after the pump. Most types of filters, UV, Shower, Trickle, etc... can go after the pump and it's easier to do so, but most assume some previous filter as removed large stuff first.

Thanks a lot,

so a seive filter is gravity fed if pump is after it. It can be placed to receive debris from bottom drain and skimmer? I thought bottom drain must have continuous link to pump to be able to pull water off the bottom and a seive would mean you would break that link/suction?

I like the idea of a seive but have never once seen one incorporated into pond pluming diagrams

Reaction score
Plan is to have bottom drain and skimmer going to a collection box/sediment box then onto a filter. I really like idea of seive but that would cause a break in the chain of suction.

Could pump be a sumbersible pump within the sediment box to help muffle any sound(I assume external pumps are loud no matter how high dollar they are(this will be 15,000 pond so likely a large pump.

Original plan was pressurized bead filter from Sacramento koi following their diagrams as they are compact enough to fit under a porch out of view up on a hill, as I have limited space at the level of my pond to have bulky DIY filters. However I have heard Pressurized bead filters don't get the water real clean and are ridiculously expensive.
Submersible pump can go in the sediment box, and most water gardens do this although owners don't always consider a pond to be a sediment box. If you think about it there is no difference between a sediment box and a pond except size. And the bigger a "box" the lower the water movement and more stuff settles out. For some reason many DIY ponders think if they add a box and call it a "sediment camber" that somehow that's where stuff will settle, but virtually all will settle in the pond. Which is where bottom drains come into play, remove the collected sediment.

I think external pumps are loud, but some people say they aren't. Don't know if it's a hearing problem, background noise or whatever. For a swimming pool no problem, but for a water garden I like peaceful. A large pump is not required for a large pond. Pumps should be sized to water feature aesthetic need, fish load, and devices like some filters, TPRs, etc... There will be a long line of people to tell you pumps are sized to number of gallons in the pond, or surface area, or whatever else they heard last week. That's all has nothing to do with how ponds work and everything to do with the way people work.

You can add my name to the list of people who think bead filters are poor filters. Personally I've not seen any combo filter work very well. When bead filters first came out most people thought they were the cat's meow, me too. They claimed to be a mechanical filter and a bio filter. Over time they've proven to do neither well...or at least there are better options now. Today sieve is top of the line for mechanical imo followed by lots of things, including bead. Almost all bead filters today are only used as mechanical, first in line, filters. But expensive to run for both electric and water used to flush. Sieve costs zero for electric and no water needed for flushing. Bead still have the advantage of being able to be put on timers, pressure sensors, and therefore be automatic cleaners. But normally a sieve can hold weeks worth of debris so you can be away for awhile and not have a problem.

For bio top of the line are Shower and Trickle filters. Proven to be about 10x more efficient for the same size as any submerged media filter. And these filters virtually never have to be cleaned. In addition to less work it means they operate at basically the same efficiency 24/7 while submerged drop efficiency between cleanings and as bacteria recover from being covered in muck. Reliable efficiency is very important for pond that need bio filters. Most water gardens don't need any bio filters at all, the pond itself can handle the load, so efficiency isn't really a factor.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As I posted earlier, Siting the pump after the settling chamber puts you at the mercy of gravity flow. For a pond with the capacity of 15,000 gallons even using 3" piping will not produce a high enough flow rate to turn the pond volume once per hour. A minimum turn-over rate of 1.5/hour is recommended.
Plumbing the settling chamber to a separate spur line with a valve for flow control is one work-around option

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I thought bottom drain must have continuous link to pump to be able to pull water off the bottom and a seive would mean you would break that link/suction?

A pump does not per se pull water. In a bottom drain configuration the water is fed to the pump through the principle of water seeking its own level. This is why in most installations of this type the pump is situated in a pit below the water level of the pond. In cases where the pump is above the water level of the pond, the principle of siphoning applies.

"Pumps DO NOT SUCK liquid into the pump. Rather, atmospheric pressure pushes water into the pump keeping the liquid in its natural state. Even self-priming pumps don't suck liquid into the pump. Because of their design and ability to handle air, atmospheric pressure pushes liquid into the pump by lowering the pressure on the suction side of the pump"
Crane Engineering
.https://blog.craneengineering.net/pumps-dont-suck-and-other-centrifugal-pump-basics

Reaction score
Thanks a lot,

so a seive filter is gravity fed if pump is after it. It can be placed to receive debris from bottom drain and skimmer? I thought bottom drain must have continuous link to pump to be able to pull water off the bottom and a seive would mean you would break that link/suction?

I like the idea of a seive but have never once seen one incorporated into pond pluming diagrams
Yes, gravity fed. It's a little tricky, but basically it works like a skimmer. There's a constrained inflow, like a 3-4" bottom drain pipe. When the pump is turned on it sucks water out of the sieve which draws down the water level in the sieve creating basically a waterfall. Water flows from the bottom drain to thru the pipe and into the sieve. Most manufactured sieves have a floating door that sides up and down to make sure the pump doesn't starve, but pump size must be within the sieve manufacturer's spec. For DIY sieves the sliding door isn't always needed. The sieve concept has been around for more than a hundred years, probably thousands.

In theory a skimmer and bottom drain can share a single sieve, and a single pump. But it's tricky. I wouldn't personally attempt it. Maybe I just don't know how, but seems limiting to me. For 15,000 gals I'd assume multiple drains and multiple skimmers. To put all those on one sieve and one pump really seems impossible,

I think it's easiest to for one pump on the skimmer to feed TPRs and the bottom drain pump feeds filters and water features. Multiple bottom drains are pretty easy to balance with one pump. Same with skimmers.

Reaction score
A pump does not per se pull water. In a bottom drain configuration the water is fed to the pump through the principle of water seeking its own level. This is why in most installations of this type the pump is situated in a pit below the water level of the pond. In cases where the pump is above the water level of the pond, the principle of siphoning applies.

"Pumps DO NOT SUCK liquid into the pump. Rather, atmospheric pressure pushes water into the pump keeping the liquid in its natural state. Even self-priming pumps don't suck liquid into the pump. Because of their design and ability to handle air, atmospheric pressure pushes liquid into the pump by lowering the pressure on the suction side of the pump"
Crane Engineering
.https://blog.craneengineering.net/pumps-dont-suck-and-other-centrifugal-pump-basics
You are right of course, but we could nitpick about the meaning of the words "pull" and "suck"...not very exact terms. Certainly lots of pumps are installed above the water level and there are benefits like in some cases eliminating flooding in rain storms and shorting out the pump. So I would say those pumps are "pulling" or "sucking" in water. The same is true when a pump is below water level. Position of pump relative to water level affects how a pump is primed. But once primed and the pump is running I'd call it a sucking or pulling action. Same as when we suck on a straw. Water can't really be pulled of course, but close enough.

Crane Engineering's definition really chaps my hide by saying atmospheric pressure pushes water...I hate junk science. Gravity causes water to seek its own level, not atmospheric pressure. If the earth lost its atmosphere water would still stay in place, pumps would still work, we wouldn't float off into space. Crane Engineering's web site was probably written by a marketing intern.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You are right of course, but we could nitpick about the meaning of the words "pull" and "suck"...not very exact terms. Certainly lots of pumps are installed above the water level and there are benefits like in some cases eliminating flooding in rain storms and shorting out the pump. So I would say those pumps are "pulling" or "sucking" in water. The same is true when a pump is below water level. Position of pump relative to water level affects how a pump is primed. But once primed and the pump is running I'd call it a sucking or pulling action. Same as when we suck on a straw. Water can't really be pulled of course, but close enough.

Crane Engineering's definition really chaps my hide by saying atmospheric pressure pushes water...I hate junk science. Gravity causes water to seek its own level, not atmospheric pressure. If the earth lost its atmosphere water would still stay in place, pumps would still work, we wouldn't float off into space. Crane Engineering's web site was probably written by a marketing intern.

A siphon works by reducing the pressure at one end of a pipe resulting in the fluid being forced by atmospheric pressure towards the end of the pipe with lesser pressure. Gravity plays play little if any part of this physical phenomena.
The engineering site is correct in this case.

Reaction score
Do a search on youtube to see how pond sieves work. If you have limited space for pumps and filter equipment sieves have a nice small foot print for the job they do, but they generally incorporate an external pump. You can shield quite a bit of pump noise by enclosing them in a insulated box, just make sure you allow enough air ventilation for cooling.
Not sure where you are located, but you'll want to think about what you'll be doing in the winter to protect you pond plumbing if you live in a cold climate.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Cetus_Nexus_GravityFed_Setup.jpg

NOTE: Sieve has its own dedicated pump.

Or-
Sieve_SC.JPG

Ask a Question