Pump confirmation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi again all, yep... another newbie question
This one is regarding the strength needed for my pump. Let me back up and give you the specs of my project:
It's a small 7x7x3. It'll be fed from an elevated bog container (spillway approx 3' higher than pond surface). That will spill over and gather into a mid-level catchment area before flowing over the final "falls" into the pond. I'm trying to make the final drop at least 12-18".
My calculations;
waterfall approx 3'h
Hosing approx 15'
Giving me a head height of 4.5'
Based on the shape and depth of the pond I figure the volume is a hair over 1100 gal, circulated every 2hrs, gives me 550gph
The width of my spillway is 6.5" so I believe my waterfall gph is 650.
So I think my total flow rate is 1200GPH

I'm looking to purchase the Pond Master Supreme Mag Dive 12. Its rated at a max flow rate of 1200gph.
What I don't know is, will that give me a moderate flow, a gentle trickle or Victoria Falls?

I should also mention Congress (wife) only approved limited funding for this project :(.

Any thoughts/advice before I subject more punishment to the credit card
Thanks
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, you don't add the circulation number and the waterfall numbers together to get total flow, but I think your number seems good (most here will recommend 1x to 2x the pond volume in flow rather than 0.5x). You should be looking at pumps that give you 1100 gallons or more at a head height of 5' (probably more since you have to account for fittings).

Also, a 6.5" spillway seems narrow. Can you widen it some in which case you will get a nice sheet of water flowing over?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you tried ebay as you also want to look at energy cost because if you are getting a pump that uses 200 watts or more you are not saving anything .lagunas come with warranty and are energy efficient .

Reaction score
Country
United States
have you tried ebay as you also want to look at energy cost because if you are getting a pump that uses 200 watts or more you are not saving anything .lagunas come with warranty and are energy efficient .
Thanks for the info, I'll check them out. Any suggestions on what size pump to handle what I described? Thx

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
try fat fantails they have not had babies yet in my pond and they are slow and don't get big .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could get one that uses 1500 gph and this way extra you can just let go in the bottom of the pond .I use sump pump hose on my pumps and at 10 dollars it is cheap .I still have in use the original sump pump hose for over 10 years now .I put splitters on mine using hose clamps and pvc pipe .Plus if you wan you can put on a ball valve to put more flow of water where ever you want to .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks folks. Based on this new info, I'm now looking at the Laguna Max Flo 960 (up to 1920 gal).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks folks. Based on this new info, I'm now looking at the Laguna Max Flo 960 (up to 1920 gal).

This pump is actually smaller than the first one (1200 gph) that you mentioned. It only has a max flow rate of 960 gph.
For the results that you are seeking, I would recommend no less than a 1500 gph pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This pump is actually smaller than the first one (1200 gph) that you mentioned. It only has a max flow rate of 960 gph.
For the results that you are seeking, I would recommend no less than a 1500 gph pump.
Oye! I was looking at how big of a pond it could handle (1920). I'll keep looking. Thx for picking up on that!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you have to consider the hose that will be out of the water and the height the water has to travel .

Ask a Question