JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For as long as I've had my pond, I've always kept the pump at the two foot depth of my pond. I've always assumed that pumping water from a lower level would be better for oxygenating it, but am I right? Lately, I've been thinking about moving it up to the marginal shelf. Are there any pros/cons I should consider?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pump sits inside the skimmer. I like knowing if it died, there would still be plenty of water in the pond for the fish to survive. I use a long handled pool net to scoop out the bottom debris.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Try to keep them off the bottom just in case a line blows out.

Yes, I've never put it on the very bottom for that very reason. It's always sat at the 2 foot depth where my lily pots go, but I'm wondering if there's anything negative that could come from putting it up on the marginal shelf which would put it around 5" below the surface. I'm thinking I may be able to better hide the pump and hose by tucking it between pots on the marginal shelf. Where I've got it right now, the hose awkwardly comes up and is very visible until the lily pads hide it in summer.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have my pump in a skimmer (which I like), but I also provide aeration at the bottom of the pond (34" deep) to circulate the deeper water. My waterfall alone didn't disturb the water at the bottom. So if you move your pump up, be sure that there is something able to circulate the deeper water - waterfall, air stone, or pump the water to the bottom of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have my pump in a skimmer (which I like), but I also provide aeration at the bottom of the pond (34" deep) to circulate the deeper water. My waterfall alone didn't disturb the water at the bottom. So if you move your pump up, be sure that there is something able to circulate the deeper water - waterfall, air stone, or pump the water to the bottom of the pond.
I am going to ask a daft question now as I always have mine just sat on a brick at the bottom and I too hate it as can see it and the hose! So my daft question is if I move mine higher which would be much better for same reasons as JB and would be much better for NOT disturbing the debris at the bottom as when I take mine out now my pond just goes black! Then I will now ask the question! Why do you need to circulate water a the bottom? My tiny waterfall does not reach the bottom .
IMG_4891.jpg

Reaction score
I would keep it low if you develop a leak the pond can easily drop 5". Also if you go away for a while the water could evaporate and you'd be out of luck. You could hide the pump under something as long as it could still get water. You could also put in a skimmer and that would give you a place for the pump and the hose could be run underground so you wouldn't see it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've usually have my pump about a 1 or 1 1/2 feet off of the bottom. That helps to keep crud out, assists with water 'turn over' and eliminates the potential for completely draining the pond if a hose breaks. My concern with placing the pump on the plant shelf is you will need to pay close attention to evaporation. Consider planting something like umbrella palm to hide your hose.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Why do you need to circulate water a the bottom? My tiny waterfall does not reach the bottom .

I'm not necessarily sure if you need to, but I feel like it's better to draw water from a little deeper to bring it up and oxygenate it. I could be entirely wrong.

I would keep it low if you develop a leak the pond can easily drop 5".... You could hide the pump under something as long as it could still get water.

That's something I've considered, and it's probably the biggest issue I've been able to think of. I just dealt with a leak a few days ago that dropped my water 3" in about five hours, so that was immediately on my mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve been contemplating a milk crate island planter to hide my pump. Luckily where I work, I could get a bunch of milk crates. I’m thinking a base of them to keep the pump off the bottom, with quilt batting as a prefilter, then a series of them ziptied to make an island that will hold a fey potted lillies or maybe even a small ortimental fountain, something along those lines. A base of 4, depending on how many will fit in the deepest part, rising in a tower. If I leave the upper players open, it’d give fry a place to hide. For folks who don’t want more fish, the whole thing could be wrapped in something that will blend with the pond, like the dark green air filter panels, with the top crate full of plants, it could be nice. Or stack it in such a way as to have various levels for plants, and maybe a cave for predator protection.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Why do you need to circulate water a the bottom?
I circulate the water at the bottom of the pond so the debris will raise up and be cycled through my skimmer so it is caught in the net and filter. Also adding the air stone increased the dissolved oxygen level of the pond and helps control algae growth. I should also add that good bacteria need oxygen which is provided by water circulation.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
love that idea Jamie but my pond is too tiny for that but do like the idea of something holey for reasons yu said.
Air Stones - no idea what these are, shall have to look them up! are they electrical?

Ask a Question