Pump died - triple digits forecasted for this weekend

Reaction score
Country
United States
So my pond pump died yesterday. I called around locally to find a replacement but no luck. Ordered a new one online and it will be here next week. In the meantime, I don't know if I need to take any additional steps. Of course we have 100 degree temps in the forecast for this weekend. Normally, our summer temps average in the high eighties.

Pertinent info:
  • I have two large ponds fed by one 6600 GPH pump. It pumps water from a skimmer to a waterfall that feeds the upper pond. The water then flows down a short stream to the lower pond.
  • There are maybe a dozen large goldfish in the upper pond and 6 small bluegill plus a few goldfish in the lower pond.
  • Both ponds are in full sun. The lower pond has good lily coverage but the upper is pretty open.
I don't feel like a little air pump is going to have much of an effect given the size of the ponds. I will probably need to add water to top off the ponds due to evaporation. It is well water. I'm hoping that will help circulate things a bit.

Here's a pic from last summer. Any advice?

20190708_201112.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Beautiful ponds and setting.

Can you put up a shade sail over part of the upper pond that is in the sun, having a portion of the pond shaded would give the fish a place to be out of the sun.

If you have any pump at all, you could use it to shoot upwards disrupting the pond's water surface and oxygenating the water.

Your pond's size will be a help as it's not as likely to warm up and loose oxygenation as a smaller pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it might be too late, but I like to have 2 of the same pump (so, half each the needed gal/hr flow necessary for the pond) just in case what happened to you happens. I'd at least try and see if they can swap in 2 smaller for your one large pump (if it hasn't been shipped yet). Otherwise, I'd at least have a spare pump on hand. And yeah, I realize this means more tubing and plumbing, but imo, it's worth it not to worry like that.

If you have a large aerator pump, I'd at least get some water movement to help with the rising temps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless your fish are huge, I bet they will be fine if those ponds have decent depth. You mentioned next week for the new pump. When next week? Recommend not feeding them until you get your new pump in a few days. You might need to feed if it turns out to be longer than a few days but let's hope you get your delivery soon. Also, highly recommend you test and record your water parameters as well for O2. Compare the results at least twice a day if possible. Any anomaly requires immediate attention.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless your fish are huge, I bet they will be fine if those ponds have decent depth. You mentioned next week for the new pump. When next week? Recommend not feeding them until you get your new pump in a few days. You might need to feed if it turns out to be longer than a few days but let's hope you get your delivery soon. Also, highly recommend you test and record your water parameters as well for O2. Compare the results at least twice a day if possible. Any anomaly requires immediate attention.
The fish aren't huge - maybe 6-7" max. And the ponds are about 4' deep. I'm hoping the new pump will be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. We only feed a couple times a week as it is, so we will hold off for the time being.

Reaction score
Country
United States
it might be too late, but I like to have 2 of the same pump (so, half each the needed gal/hr flow necessary for the pond) just in case what happened to you happens. I'd at least try and see if they can swap in 2 smaller for your one large pump (if it hasn't been shipped yet). Otherwise, I'd at least have a spare pump on hand. And yeah, I realize this means more tubing and plumbing, but imo, it's worth it not to worry like that.

If you have a large aerator pump, I'd at least get some water movement to help with the rising temps.
I like the idea of having two smaller pumps for redundancy. We are going to install a bog filter this fall, and I was planning on setting up a separate pump to move water through the bog. Of course it doesn't help me now!

I don't have any other pumps on hand that aren't in use (small patio water feature). I may have to hit HD or Lowe's and see what I can find.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Beautiful ponds and setting.

Can you put up a shade sail over part of the upper pond that is in the sun, having a portion of the pond shaded would give the fish a place to be out of the sun.

If you have any pump at all, you could use it to shoot upwards disrupting the pond's water surface and oxygenating the water.

Your pond's size will be a help as it's not as likely to warm up and loose oxygenation as a smaller pond.
Thanks for the ideas. There is some shade in the upper pond under some lilies - they just haven't been as vigorous as those in the lower pond. I may be able to rig up a tarp as a temporary shade sail.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Its not a matter of if but when we will loose power and or our main pump.A battery operated air pump is a survival 101 pond piece of equipment. Or a generator which is my route and I run air pumps to my fish and my bog to keep it from going stagnant and have ammonia build up. Even a pump from the home depot a little garden pump anything to throw water over the waterfall to aerate the water.

now you pond at 4 feet is a good thing more water harder to deplete the o2 however triple digits also reduces how much disolved 02 water can hold. Surface movement helps to remove c02 and also helps to add 02. Weather by water agitation or an air stone i would get something in there. Goldfish can tolerate very dirty and low o2 levels by why push it..

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got an email from one of the pond companies that I use. They had hurricane prep list and suggested a 3% peroxide as a way to add O2 to a pond during a power loss. Had never heard that before.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I just got an email from one of the pond companies that I use. They had hurricane prep list and suggested a 3% peroxide as a way to add O2 to a pond during a power loss. Had never heard that before.
I've never heard that before either, very interesting !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So my pond pump died yesterday. I called around locally to find a replacement but no luck. Ordered a new one online and it will be here next week. In the meantime, I don't know if I need to take any additional steps. Of course we have 100 degree temps in the forecast for this weekend. Normally, our summer temps average in the high eighties.

Pertinent info:
  • I have two large ponds fed by one 6600 GPH pump. It pumps water from a skimmer to a waterfall that feeds the upper pond. The water then flows down a short stream to the lower pond.
  • There are maybe a dozen large goldfish in the upper pond and 6 small bluegill plus a few goldfish in the lower pond.
  • Both ponds are in full sun. The lower pond has good lily coverage but the upper is pretty open.
I don't feel like a little air pump is going to have much of an effect given the size of the ponds. I will probably need to add water to top off the ponds due to evaporation. It is well water. I'm hoping that will help circulate things a bit.

Here's a pic from last summer. Any advice?

View attachment 132973
Hi. I love your landscaping around your pond. I can’t answer about the peroxide but it seems like based on your fish load it wouldn’t be horrible to have to wait for a new pump. I would just stop feeding your fish until you get a new one. So my pond is around 2500 gallons. I have 2 pumps running water back and forth. One external pump for my filter. A bog pump and an air stone. I don’t think you can ever have enough pumps and it’s nice to have redundancy if one fails. I hope everything works out!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used to do that in my 175 gallon fish tank when the power went out in AZ. Works great.

Ask a Question