Pump Electrical Problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the nice weather last week I got my pump out from it's winter storage in a pail of water. It ran fine for about 6 days,

Then it got cold again. and today, the pump keeps tripping the GFI and shutting off. I tried 4 times to get it to run. It starts up and within a few seconds the GFI trips and the pump shuts off.

Does anybody have an idea what might be causing this? I cleaned out the media and basket in front of the pump which usually solves the problem, but now it's definitely a GFI/electrical issue.

Any thoughts welcome.

TIA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
take pump apart and check the impeller

also is there anything else on the circut?

can you try the pump on a diffrent outlet/circut?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I took the bottom apart and the impeller moved freely. I took the cap off at the top where the heavy cable passes though and becomes a few12 or so gauge wires. Everything looked fine. Then I put the pump in a garbage can filled with water and plugged into a different GFI outlet. Same thing. Immediate shutdown.

Anything else I should check or is it likely the pump is fried It's a 4 year old EasyPro Pond Pump TH 250.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I took the bottom apart and the impeller moved freely. I took the cap off at the top where the heavy cable passes though and becomes a few12 or so gauge wires. Everything looked fine. Then I put the pump in a garbage can filled with water and plugged into a different GFI outlet. Same thing. Immediate shutdown.

Anything else I should check or is it likely the pump is fried It's a 4 year old EasyPro Pond Pump TH 250.

I don't know anything about the pump. I believe you have figured it out to be the pump. But I d ask is the 2nd GFI you tested on is on the same or different circuit?

If same it is possible there is a different issue causing the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure they're on different circuits. One was in the garage, the other the far side of the house at the pond. But I'll check. I called Easy Pro and they said it sounds like the seals went a few years earlier than usual. He says if the repair is more than half the cost of new go for new. It's been an expensive month. Oh well..

Ask a Question