Pump/Filtration for 2 ponds attached by stream?

Reaction score
I have a 2'x4'x3' preformed pond with a 10' stream leading to a 6'x10'x3' pond that has a 2' waterfall on the opposite side. The last setup on the pond involved many pumps and filters. I would like to know if I can use a large pump and filtration system to run enough power a hose running from the waterfall to the small pond, then down the stream, and back into the large pond. If not, do I need a pump and filter for both ponds or just a large filter and pumps for each pond?

Thanks in advance

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You should be able to use one pump and filter system with out much trouble ..

Were are you going to put the filter ?

Reaction score
I was going to use a container and hide it behind the waterfall with rocks and black elephant ears. From viewing positions no one will see behind the waterfall.

Does anyone know how I can calculate how large a filtration system I need to build?

Reaction score
I ran a 7 interconnected ponds, about 8,000 gals for years with a tiny pump (maybe 200 GHP) and no filters. Filters are related to fish load. Most water gardens have more than enough surface area for the fish load that no additional filter is required.

Ask a Question