pump flow question.

Reaction score
could i use a 5000gph pump and draw 3000 gph from a 55 gl barrel filter and 2000 gph from a skimmer if i use a Y fitting connected to both? my thinking was the pump would draw 2500 gph from both but if i use a ball valve on the skimmer draw line to controll the flow i could split it 3k and 2k.

I know normaly you use two pumps but my old pump may have a problem and instead of getting two i was wondering if i could do one this way?
or would i runinto problem?

thoughts please anyone!!

:banana:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Where is your pump ?
I would keep both lines as big as i could and put a ball valve on both lines for complete control of the water..
It should work.

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Where is your pump ?
I would keep both lines as big as i could and put a ball valve on both lines for complete control of the water..
It should work.

the pump would be after the barrel filters on the bottum drains gravity filter and i would also as i said like to attach the skimmers line to the one pump.

i figure the barrel filter is where i want the most flow so i think the skimmer line would be the only one i should restrict the flow so i can get the most flow 3-3500gph from the barrels....if it works this way...

Reaction score
oh and the biggest reason would be to get the most flow from the bottum drain to the barrel SC and biofilter. since the pump is after the filter system.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Why are you wasting your time with a skimmer? In 41 years of ponds, I never needed one. There are many posts here where folks have lost fish to their skimmers.
If I have anything in my pond that requires skimming, I use a bucket and it takes 5-10 minutes to skim both ponds.
When we had the big fires here a year ago, I had to skim a couple times in a few days. other than that, maybe once a month.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Why are you wasting your time with a skimmer? In 41 years of ponds, I never needed one. There are many posts here where folks have lost fish to their skimmers.
If I have anything in my pond that requires skimming, I use a bucket and it takes 5-10 minutes to skim both ponds.
When we had the big fires here a year ago, I had to skim a couple times in a few days. other than that, maybe once a month.

Skimmers are good for water quality.

I have 3-4' of liner left over on one side of my pond. So i will be makeing my skimmer if everything goes as a planned. threw the block wall i have a block i have left with no concrete or morter so i will take it out and see if i can jimmy up a skimmer with a leaf net and a 3" pipe going to a 18 gallon barrel with a another leaf basket then to the pump. the only part i don't have is a clamp to secure the pipe in the liner part of the skimmer. so it will be a few dollar skimmer for me.
to keep the fish out i will put a block on top of the liner where the skimmer... front should be and then two small blocks on top of that followed by another longer block on top. thus leaveing about 2 inch opening so the fish can't get in. it wont work if the water level drops to much but it should work.

bottum drain may not be needed but as with some sort of skimmer they are widly recommened and i agree.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You might not need the ball valve for the filter..
But if you wanted to slow the filter flow, or the filter couldnt handle the flow you will need it..
I still dont have your system in my head :100:
How does the water get in your filter?
Congratulation..you are the oldest Ponder on the forum :icon_mrgreen:

Reaction score
i was going to say i messed up i am 112 but no really i am in my 30's. if you give your really birth date can't people theft your idenity?

the bottum drain is connected to the filter. it is a gravity system. the pump is after the filter system.

Ask a Question