Pump for approx 84,000 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Greetings all ...

I recently moved to and am now landscaping approximately two-thirds of an acre. As part of the project, I've excavated an approximately 84,000 gallon hole in the ground and am really looking forward to having my first pond.

Opinions from folks in the neighborhood and others vary on whether I'll need a liner. I am going to try it without one, see what happens, and add one if need be. I will not now or ever add fish. Local wildlife are welcome to have a drink, frogs and such are welcome to take up residence, but I won't have fish. Given this, I likewise don't intend to install a filter.

So ...

Surveying the possibilities, I think a submerged pump will be best. I don't want to go to the "trouble" of housing an external pump. I don't want a beautiful water feature such as a waterfall or similar. I intend instead just to run a pipe from the pump, six feet up the side of the pond, turn the pipe, and then have the pipe simply pour water back into the pond.

Do you have suggestions on the right pump?! I would greatly value your thoughts. Price and energy efficiency are important to me. The only local pond store (small town, western Washington) recommends an external pump at $750. That's two to three times more than I'd like to spend.

Many thanks ...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Given what you want to do I would skip the water pump and go with aeration only. Either a rotary vane or regenerative blower. Either way you will never have to clean a screen or filter. The only wear points on a regenerative blower is the motor bearings and they can be replaced. I have been using the same one for at least 15 years.

I hope you do not expect clear water.

Reaction score
Boy am I embarrassed! There's a lot going on around the house today. Please forgive the typo in my first post. The pond is set up for 84,000 gallons.

Again, many thanks ...

Reaction score
Apologies again ... yes, 84,000 gallons, which if I'm reading it right (new around here) is what the post subject line now says.

From my newbie/quick look into it thus far, it's unclear to me what pump would be best to circulate the pond, thus my question ...

Reaction score
Many thanks, Howard ... I know less than nuthin' about aerators. Do you have a website link or two? Budget is a big issue for me, so I'll start there by learning what they cost, how they work, etc.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Aeration is just blowing air into the water. All you really need is a big air pump and PVC pipe with very small holes drilled in it. I used to make floating ones like this. You can see two of them floating in the back pond. The pipe with the holes is about 2' below the water in the center of the rectangle. The rectangle of pipe reduces surface action which can be too much for water lilies. Not saying you want this type just showing some of what can be done.

pond_0031.jpg

You can find new regenerative blower at Granger but I would check out the local surplus stores. These are often used in manufacturing and with what is going on a lot of plants have been scrapped.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow what a project! Look at the size of that bog and skimmer! I've seen his lake on his tv show, never knew it was fixed up by Aquascape. Wonder how he dealt w/the county on doing this? Bet it cost him a pretty penny! Talk about huge rocks! Very interesting watching them do all this. Turned out nice!

Ask a Question