Pump for waterfall?

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is about three meters wide and about twenty feet long with a waterfall about six foot in length.
The existing pump of 100 watt has given up the ghost after about twenty years and it used to belt the water out. I would like something more gentle. I would like a gentle flow with more of a trickle than an avalanche. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You should size your pump output based on your pond's water volume and plumbing setup.
Try for at least 1-1/2 times your water volume at the final water outlet.

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't intend to leave the pump on all the time all I need is a pump that is capable of moving sufficient water four feet from the pump to the top of the waterfall at a rate that will allow it to gently run down the waterfall at a sufficient speed to create a tinkle tinkle sound.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Is there a gallon per hour or litre per hour output rating on your existing pump?
A brand or model number perhaps?
If not, please post a picture of the existing pump.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-22_9-19-21.gif
@BML

BML

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Label shows the following.
Hozelock
Prima XL
Model 112500000
69W
These are worn and may not be quite accurate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Does this look similar your current pump?
https://www.hozelock.com/our-products/aquatics/aquaforce/#full-details

If so, it looks like you have a number of options with lower power than what you currently have, or you could get the same size pump and put a restrictor valve on the outlet side.
If you've had the same pump going for 20 years, I would stick with the same manufacturer.
I'm not familiar with that name brand over here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can always put a y in with a valve to divert excess water back to pond. This would allow you to fine tune the flow over your water fall with out causing extra back pressure on your pump. It will also provide extra circulation elsewhere in your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is about three meters wide and about twenty feet long with a waterfall about six foot in length.
The existing pump of 100 watt has given up the ghost after about twenty years and it used to belt the water out. I would like something more gentle. I would like a gentle flow with more of a trickle than an avalanche. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The thing I'd be concerned with is if you drastically change the gph from " a belt of water to a trickle" you may have never had any water issues because of proper water circulation. But if you drastically drop the gph you may open a can of worms. Have you tried to rework the falls so they are not as loud? split the falls in two to decrease the flow per fall yet keep circulation.

Ask a Question