pump help

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I currently have 2 pumps that are rated for water temps up to 77 degrees. At that point , they shut down until they reset. One has been on a pressurized filter and has been backflushing the filter every time it shuts off. I'm looking at a Laguna MaxFlow or Power Jet as a replacement. Anyone know if these pumps have a max temp? My pond water gets as warm as 84 in the summer.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
That is strange that it turns off at that temp
I have a laguna 4200 max flow ,,,its a good efficient pump that only shuts of when i flip the switch

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It seems that the cheaper pumps are for cold water only. I'm learning that cheaper isn't better. I just sent back a saline refractometer and ordered a digital saline meter. I just can't believe that a pump labeled for a fountian would have a temperature limitation.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Most reputable electronics suppliers have operating limits on their products. The lessor expensive ones may not. That said, you make a good point, people shoulb observe this it they are in extreme climates.

Reaction score
I used a Laguna pump for years until I got my Sequence external pump and I live in the South, so it gets hot here. The pump has never turned off unless I have turned it off. It's a great brand...a real workhorse. Laguna is a great brand.

Any reason you aren't considering an external to avoid all those such problems? You can get one pump to feed both your pieces of equipment. Will save electricity (tho Lagunas are highly efficient!).

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure what plumbing an external pump would entail. Just ordered the Laguna 2900 Maxflo. At least I will have spare pumps if one gives out.

Ask a Question