Pump in winter

Reaction score
I’ve always left my pump running in winter, but was recently told by a pond keeper to turn off the pump over winter. There are 2 koi, one about a foot long and one youngster plus around 10 goldfish. The pond is approx 3 ft deep and is around 7ft x 4 ft.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Where are you located? What are the average temps during the winter months?

Reaction score
Welcome @wizzasmum ! I wonder why, if you've been successful so far, that you'd be influenced by someone else's opinion? Do you have a reason to doubt what you've been doing thus far? What reasoning did this "pond keeper" give? (And hey, you're a pond keeper, too!)

At six hundred gallons your pond is a tad small for the number of fish that you have, especially since you have a couple of koi in the mix. I'd be concerned that turning off the pond for winter would have a deleterious effect on your water quality and your fish would suffer.

Ad

Advertisements

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I Have kept mine on all winter long for 15 yrs or so and temps here usually in the 40's and 50f's. Can get days below freezing but not that many. Ice forms on ponds once in awhile but does not last long. I'm in zone 8a. Used to be in 7b but they changed it awhile back.

Ask a Question