Pump location question?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello again!
Pond specs- Main pond 15'x10'x4', header pond 6'x5'x12"

I am going to start the dig Thursday May 10. As I was laying things out last night, I begin to think that I will hide my pump behind the biofilter. However, everything I have read, says that the pump should be as close to the source as possible. The pump (external) will be at or below water level, wherever I decide to put it.
Here is the question, Is 22 feet with a 30" rise to the filter to far to draw water from effectively? Sorry, I do not have the specs on the pump at hand. Oddly enough, I do have a few pics.

My secondary location is about 6 feet from the skimmer off to the side.

I have added a picture to show the general layout.

I have plenty of stone and plants to hide the pump wherever it ends up.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

icewaterdon

Attachments

• Pump layout.jpg
    Pump layout.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Picture 663.jpg
    Picture 663.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 322
  • Picture 664.jpg
    Picture 664.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 265

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it is at a below water level, in some ways it would be gravity fed. But I too have read, keep the pump close to the source. My externals, usually are within 10 feet of the pond, including the piping into the pond. I would say check the specs of the pump you are going to use. They usually have the draw ability of the pump, but then again your water will be flowing into the pump since it will be below grade or at least equal to water level.

Ok thought some more, my pump at slightly below water level, draws from my skimmer which is 27 feet from the pump without an issue. The skimmer line goes down around 3 feet then back up 3 feet before it goes into the pump. So that would be 36 inches of pipe height and more than 38 feet of piping.
Pump on one end of the pond, skimmer on the far end.

The pump I currently installed is a evolution series, 4200 gph.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I don't have a external pump but i would want it where i could get to it easy for simple maintenance
What ever type of pipe you use keep the turns soft with 45s
I would put it behind the filter myself

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For sure, make sure you can get to it. Mine has leaf baskets, I kept it out where I could reach them to hose off now and then.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for the very quick responses.

I can get to the pump with it behind the filter. It also has a basket before the actual pump. From the skimmer to the pump will be flex PVC line and from the pump to the filter also using flex PVC. The only 90 degree bend is on the top of the filter and in the bottom at the "T". With my design layout, if it does not meet my satisfaction, it will be very simple to relocate the pump if needed. I also plan to soften the corner retaining wall to help absorb some of the sound from the pump.

MAN! Can I tell you how excited I am about starting the dig. I know it will be hard work, but the rewards, I beleive will be assume. The plan is to dig it all by hand. I already have the liners so I want to control the dig as much as possible.

Thanks
icewaterdon

Reaction score
Not having 90s on pipes is something you don't want on the pressurized side of the pump, the pump's output side. They add friction causing water to slow, pressure to increase and the net result is less water.

90s on the gravity fed side has zero effect (so close to zero I call it zero). The factor on the gravity side is pipe diameter. For example, if fed with a 1/2" pipe the pump would suffer extreme cavitation. In the other extreme If you had a 12" pipe feeding the pump it would be basically the same as having the pump close to the pond.

Be very careful about pipe going up and down...I didn't really understand what you were saying, but, in general, if say a flex pipe goes up and then down air will became trapped in the hump causing problems.

Reaction score
Not sure if you've already factored this in, but you'll need a shutoff valve before the pump intake. Otherwise when you open the basket on the pump water will pour out from the pond.

Ask a Question