Pump on or off?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We live in Kentucky and will have freezing temperatures for at least a couple of months this winter. This is our first winter with our farm pond and in-ground active bog filter. The pond is about 35 ft by 85 ft with a limestone and clay bottom. We have 3 aeration diffusers distributed around the pond and an external pump that supplies water to the filter bog. The bog is about 10 ft by 15 ft with a liner and pea gravel a foot deep. The pump pushes water into the bottom of the bog through PVC pipes and it percolates up through the pea gravel and back into the pond over a waterfall. We only have minnows in the pond so far. We are trying to decide whether to leave the pump and bog filter /waterfall running this winter. This is the only filtration we have, but I don’t want to damage our expensive external pump. I have cut back some of the plants growing in the bog filter and I am hoping the plants will come back in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your only concern is freezing in the pump, I don't think that's a concern at all as long as water is flowing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agreed. If you can keep your pump on all winter I think it's always the better choice. HOWEVER I do know a lot of people with external pumps do shut down for that very reason. I wonder if you could protect the pump enough that freezing would't be a concern? Shelter it, wrap it, insulate it...

Maybe @addy1 can jump in here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe @addy1 can jump in here
I turn all off over the winter. If I were to leave it running and we have a long power out = a frozen pump = cracked lines. Or no power out , cold enough to freeze up flowing water = ice dam = pond empties = nightmare. The bog water surface is large it cools the pond a lot as the temps drop.

I take a moving water break, it harms nothing. Mentally easier on me.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Freezing up won’t kill the plants, as long as they are hardy in your zone. what will do it, is the cold weather and drying out if the water level in your bog drops too low.

Agree with @Lisak1 always better to leave water moving and circulating, provided the water can’t ice dam and escape.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1666980360399.gif
@KyPondGal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd build a little dog house sorta speak over the pump it's own heat will keep it warm in the hut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's kind of what I was thinking - a small enclosure that would help insulate the pump. I know zero about external pumps though, so that thought comes with it's own grain of salt!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I used a plant pot turned upside down over my aerator pump to keep it out of the weather. Works great!

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We live in Kentucky and will have freezing temperatures for at least a couple of months this winter. This is our first winter with our farm pond and in-ground active bog filter. The pond is about 35 ft by 85 ft with a limestone and clay bottom. We have 3 aeration diffusers distributed around the pond and an external pump that supplies water to the filter bog. The bog is about 10 ft by 15 ft with a liner and pea gravel a foot deep. The pump pushes water into the bottom of the bog through PVC pipes and it percolates up through the pea gravel and back into the pond over a waterfall. We only have minnows in the pond so far. We are trying to decide whether to leave the pump and bog filter /waterfall running this winter. This is the only filtration we have, but I don’t want to damage our expensive external pump. I have cut back some of the plants growing in the bog filter and I am hoping the plants will come back in the spring.
Greetings Kypondgal. When you state "external pump," is it above ground and readily vulnerable to freezing temperatures? I cut my construction teeth in Maine where the frost line dived annually to 4'. Below the 4' the soil temperatures jumped to an average of 50 degrees. Therefore, I insulated cellar walls with 2" Styrofoam and 1" below the cellar floor. Why the difference? 2" kept the freezing temperatures out of the interior space. The 1" allowed the 50 degrees to seep through to raise the cellar temperature to 40+ degrees during winter. In the summer the 1" kept the cellar warmer than 50 degrees and curbed the formation of condensation on the floor due to the higher moisture carried by summer air passing over a colder cellar floor. Thus, what is your normal frost depth? Would it make sense to bury your pump with Styrofoam insulation to protect it from freezing, or build an insulated space above ground? If necessary, you could burn an incandescent light bulb to raise its confined space during exceptionally cold spells. I believe that you can repeat nature's pattern to continue to pumping water through sporadic cold spells; thus, your bog functions year-round.

pastures

Dauphene Duck
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Greetings Kypondgal. When you state "external pump," is it above ground and readily vulnerable to freezing temperatures? I cut my construction teeth in Maine where the frost line dived annually to 4'. Below the 4' the soil temperatures jumped to an average of 50 degrees. Therefore, I insulated cellar walls with 2" Styrofoam and 1" below the cellar floor. Why the difference? 2" kept the freezing temperatures out of the interior space. The 1" allowed the 50 degrees to seep through to raise the cellar temperature to 40+ degrees during winter. In the summer the 1" kept the cellar warmer than 50 degrees and curbed the formation of condensation on the floor due to the higher moisture carried by summer air passing over a colder cellar floor. Thus, what is your normal frost depth? Would it make sense to bury your pump with Styrofoam insulation to protect it from freezing, or build an insulated space above ground? If necessary, you could burn an incandescent light bulb to raise its confined space during exceptionally cold spells. I believe that you can repeat nature's pattern to continue to pumping water through sporadic cold spells; thus, your bog functions year-round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
With an external pump, I wouldn't chance it. If you lose power you might be in trouble, but that's me. I'm a cautious guy.

I leave mine on, but my pump is a submersible one that sits in the pond.

The plants will be fine as long as the water stays in the bog. If the bog empties, that's when it can harm the plants. You don't want them to dry out. It's fine if they freeze.
I trim back all the dead leaves in the Fall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You’re pretty fat north, compared to my location.
I’m in Augusta, Ga. where there is no soil frost depth, so the submerged pond pump runs year-round.
pastures’ post above throws sound, common sense at your question. A small, insulated shelter with an incandescent bulb inside should be just fine for freezing prevention.
A loss of power can’t be helped by much of anything…except a small generator. It’ll also give you options inside your home (I.e. refrigerator, heaters, tv…). Many of us older members have lived through power outages lasting for days. Doesn’t happen often anymore unless circumstances are very unusual.
Build a little shelter and enjoy your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. I would error on the side of caution and not run your expensive pump. Maybe just get a cheap pump for the winter instead. I keep my bog pump, submersible waterfall pump, external bead filter pump that’s in my garage, and air stone running all winter. It’s extremely rare I ever lose a fish in the winter or spring. Good luck!

Ask a Question