Pump problem after storms?

Reaction score
Does anyone ever have problems w/ their pump shutting off during storms? I think my GFCI outlet outside is overly sensitive. In bad storms
the pump turns off and it takes a few days until the red reset button stays depressed. The last time this happened I just ran an extension cord from inside out to the pump and left the filter off. This time however the pump refuses to come on. I've also tested the extension cord w/ other equipment and that runs.

Do pumps draw a lot of amps when they first cycle on? I'm at a loss and the equipment has been off since tuesday. I only have goldfish, so hopefully they can deal w/ less than ideal situations till i get this figured out.

Thanks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep had that happen and replace the GFCI and no problems since ,i am guessing it may have been a bad one or going bad .Funny thing was it was only a year old and the tripper kept breaking .You may have to replace your also .It could be getting damp also if the gasket between it and the in use box is no good or missing or even if it has dried out that will happen

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes, some pumps pull more draw when they start up, BUT, You state after a storm, that leads me to believe your getting moisture in the plug or circuit. GFCI are suppose to be ultra sensitive. That's what they are designed to do. GFCI do need replacing sometimes as well as GFCI breakers. If they continue to trip they get weaker and weaker. You probably should get a qualified electrician to check and see what the draw is and see if they can detremine if there is a leak at all in the circuit.

Reaction score
Yeah i plan to get an electrician out at some point. I have something similar happening w/ the circuit the detached garage is on.
But I still can't figure out why the pump won't come on w/ the extension cord from a completely different circuit. Is it possible its clogged in a pond that's only
one moth old?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It could be ,plant roots algae or most anything can clog a pump .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I went outside this morning and my waterfall pump as well as all in one pump was on... then an hour later or so I noticed my waterfall was not working! We had a storm the night before but all was working even during the storm- not sure what tripped it to go off... I am just happy that its working again.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
did you make sure it is not clogged and clog either passed through or it moved away and check your cord in bad storms if the outlet holes or the plug is loose in the holes in can vibrate loose .I just found out after a storm now that my plug was loose when I saw the pump was not working and just bent the prongs slightly to make it tight in the outlet .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
If your pond is only a month old, you may just be discovering that you have a faulty pump. You mentioned that the pump may not run for hours or days, which sounds to me like the motor could be defective, and causing the GFCI to trip as soon as you reset it. You could try simply unplugging the pump, and see if the GFCI will stay reset then, or plug in something different and again check it.

You might want to observe your fish at the instant you hit the reset button on the GFCI (during a time when it won't stay on)... see if the fish suddenly jump. If the GFCI is in fact working properly, your problem my be a bad seal in the pump, allowing water to get into it, which would cause a short through the water every time the GFCI is reset -- and you may have also tripped the breaker to the circuit your extension cord is plugged in to.

One other suggestion...if you can get into your pump and turn the shaft (no more than 1/4 turn), then try plugging in the pump. If that works, it means one coil inside your pump has burned out, and it will have dead spots where it simply cannot start itself. Again this would be a defective pump motor, and needs to be returned/replaced.

Reaction score
So I pulled the pump out, cleaned it a bit and the power isn't tripping anymore. The housing of the unit looks completely sealed.. Its a ciprio pump and the intake has what looks like a yellow propeller. The yellow propeller does not turn though. Should it? The pump hums, but doesn't pump any water. Also, does anyone know if these units come apart. It looks like a phillips head screwdriver might adjust the propeller, but thats it as far as fasteners unless there are clips inside the housing.

It really doesn't look clogged though and its odd that it would just stop after a storm if it was. I did have some twine tied to the handle so I could pull it out easily, but that rotted away, and if it got in the pump it probably would have disingrated as it rotted through.

Reaction score
If your pond is only a month old, you may just be discovering that you have a faulty pump. You mentioned that the pump may not run for hours or days, which sounds to me like the motor could be defective, and causing the GFCI to trip as soon as you reset it. You could try simply unplugging the pump, and see if the GFCI will stay reset then, or plug in something different and again check it.

You might want to observe your fish at the instant you hit the reset button on the GFCI (during a time when it won't stay on)... see if the fish suddenly jump. If the GFCI is in fact working properly, your problem my be a bad seal in the pump, allowing water to get into it, which would cause a short through the water every time the GFCI is reset -- and you may have also tripped the breaker to the circuit your extension cord is plugged in to.

One other suggestion...if you can get into your pump and turn the shaft (no more than 1/4 turn), then try plugging in the pump. If that works, it means one coil inside your pump has burned out, and it will have dead spots where it simply cannot start itself. Again this would be a defective pump motor, and needs to be returned/replaced.

Thanks I will try these tips. The GFCI resets even when I unplug all the pond equipment and plug in a shop vac. My guess is that its oversensitive and time for new gfci. The fish do jump when I turn the pump on, but the pump does stay running. It might be sound related that they jump.

I'll try turning the propeller thing a 1/4 turn and see if it starts pumping.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sounds like a bad pump if the impeller is not turning ,can you turn it by hand . i would return it if you still can if not then you may have to get a new one .

Ask a Question