Pump Question Garden Treasures from Lowe's

Reaction score
I'm new to Garden Pond Forum and already have a question. One week ago I bought a Garden Treasures 630 gph pump from Lowe's. It worked great for one day and then It started cutting off every 10 to 15 minutes. It would turn back on after about 5 minutes. Yesterday I took the pump back and exchanged it for another pump. It to ran all day yesterday and most of today, now it is doing the same thing. The pump and the cord do not feel hot. I also have a filter with a UV light plugged in to the same plug. The light never cuts off so I don't think it is a power problem. Is it normal for these pumps to cycle or does it sound like another problem? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I'm just running it through a pressurized filter also bought from Lowe's. This is the pump that the filter required.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I guess I was not clear... What is the size of your pond? While you are at it, what function is the pump performing besides filtration?
1. Circulation
2. Waterfall (Head?)
If this is on a circuit where nothing else is powered down, I would definetly suspect the pump.

Also, if the water is especially bad, is the filter clogged?

Reaction score
Sorry, I have about a 150 gallon pond. I'm using the pump for filtration a circulation. I have a spitter type for circulation. The pond has been running for a week and looks crystal clear. So I have not checked the filter. I added three small fish yesterday after putting in the new pump. I just find it hard to believe two pumps in a row could be bad. I might try a local pond store and try a better brand of pump. I paid $75 for this one thinking it was of pretty good quality. Do you have any suggestions.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had good luck with Beckett Pumps. Home Depot carries them. If they go out within the 2 years warrantee, they replace it free and you get another 2 years warrantee.

Reaction score
I have also had good luck with laguna pumps, they have run now for 5 years. Last year I replaced the Impellar in on and this year the other. The pumps you are using are defective I would change brands. Beckett pumps are also very good. Good luck! hope you can find a good one.

Reaction score
I am actually using the pumps also from Lowe's. One I have had for 3 years now and no problems. The other is new this year for my homemade bio filter (its a bigger pump). I have had no problems with these. I would take it back again and try one more. Sometimes there are just lemons out there. Maybe try a different size. If not then I would change brands.

lynnsisko

Lynn mucking about
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just a thought about your pump. I bought a Garden Treasures Pump from Lowes last fall and it has been working well. However if the outlet pipe is too small or the pump filter is resisting the out flow of the pump it could cause the pump to work too hard and it maybe over loaded and would cause it to shut down.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have bought 4 garden Treasures pumps from Lowes. Have sent all 4 back for failures of impeller covers. I am switching out my pumps for another brand. Home Depot pumps are the same pumps just under a differdent name. All are Becette.(sp) Won"t buy another one.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
mrsclem said:
Have bought 4 garden Treasures pumps from Lowes. Have sent all 4 back for failures of impeller covers. I am switching out my pumps for another brand. Home Depot pumps are the same pumps just under a differdent name. All are Becette.(sp) Won"t buy another one.

I have been using the Beckett W1150 for about 5 years with no problems. Home Depot will give you free exchanges if it fails in 2 years.

Ask a Question