pump question

Reaction score
I'm planning on moving my filter about 15 to 20 ft awayfrom my pond this fall, and doubling the size. So my question is does every 10 ft of horizontal run equal 1 ft of head?

Reaction score
Ok heres another quick question. If I come in on the bottom of the drum filter(since they will be raised up a foot or two) Will that eliminate some of the head hieght? kinda like this picture.

Untitled.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the problem with that design is if your pump stops for any reason that drum will flush back into your pond... use a check valve.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
What kind of up flow filter are you thinking of ?
2 of My filters are about 15ft from my pond ... the other is a good 40 ft to the top end of the pond ,,,i dont notice a great loss going to the filter..
I would go in the top of your first filter pic.....a lot less problems to deal with

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you would have the water enter on the bottom. Wouldn't you put a bottom drain on the bottom so you can clear the muck outta it? You should have the water enter about 8 inches from the bottom on the side...

Putting the water entry on bottom is gonna make maintenance hell.

Reaction score
there wll be a drain too. It was just an idea i was tossing around. I'm probablygonna take a good look at Drcases picture and follow that. I'll be posting pictures as i go.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
keep the water entering from the top and center down pipe, it a proven design that wont add much head to the system..exspecialy with a stocktank filter

Reaction score
Oldhead said:
I'm planning on moving my filter about 15 to 20 ft awayfrom my pond this fall, and doubling the size. So my question is does every 10 ft of horizontal run equal 1 ft of head?
It depends on the size of your pipe and the flow rate. Here's a link that might help you.
http://keystonehatcheries.com/default.asp?id=181

Remember that elbows and other other fittings increase the friction head too. There are charts that tell you how many feet to add to the actual length for a given fitting. If you need this chart and google isn't your friend, let me know and I'll dig one up for you.

Reaction score
I don't have a prob with the water entering on the lower side of the barrel, but I just don't see how having it come in directly from the very bottom is efficient. The very bottom should be reserved for a drain if you can swing that there. In some cases, folks can't and have to have it on the side.

drum_filter_002.jpg

Ask a Question