Pump Question

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi there, I'll start out with the information. It's a new pond, around 1,000 gallons with a filtered waterfall. Or is that called a filterfall? Anyhoo, currently no fish or plants, probably in the future but like I said, it's new.

My question is, do I have to run the pump all the time or can I turn it off say, at night? The reason being, I'm trying to make the pump last longer. And if I do get fish and plants, what then?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on the pump you get, they can last for quite some time. I believe you should keep the pump going all the time although you do not have fish but it helps oxygenate the water. When you have fish, yes pump must stay on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This may be totally unrealistic, but sometimes I think mechanical things last longer when they are running than when you let them sit. We had an air conditioner that failed years ago and they told us that running it more often would have made it last longer. We were trying to save on electricity and it ended up costing us the whole unit. (Might have been a load of baloney, but it made a certain kind of sense at the time.)

MrB

MrB
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This may be totally unrealistic, but sometimes I think mechanical things last longer when they are running than when you let them sit. We had an air conditioner that failed years ago and they told us that running it more often would have made it last longer. We were trying to save on electricity and it ended up costing us the whole unit. (Might have been a load of baloney, but it made a certain kind of sense at the time.)
Actually, that does make sense. A pump's made to pump, not sit. Maybe sitting's bad for it. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States

This is very true. Take a vehicle as an example, let it sit there and eventually things will seize up on it whereas drive it, and maintain it, it can last a long time.

Ask a Question