pump questions. filter for pump or just the pond.

Reaction score
just brought a larger pump for my second pond try.

my first pump was pretty small, about 4-500gph (don't truthfully remember) and had a little cone type filter on the intake. the new larger filter doesn't have a way to connect a filter to the intake side. it takes water in from both sides of the pump (smartpond wp1300uv).

i emailed the company about it and they recommened a filter that goes after the pump, which is ok for the pond itself, but doesn't do the pump any good. i think they misunderstood what i was asking. i've emailed again re-explaining it, but i guess i won't get an answer over the weekend. except for a quick check to make sure it works i'm kind of on hold installing it 'til i find out more.

so does it need a filter? i'm kinda a cheapskate so buying a new pump took me a while. i don't want to mess it up right off the bat.

thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it looks like there is some protection for the pump, I would just put it into a crate of some sort with some filter material to keep the large debris out of the pump.

Reaction score
ok, i did see something like that in lowes, but it was for a smaller pump (up to 500gph). guess i can hunt around and try to work up a larger version of it. thanks.

Ask a Question