PUMP recomendation.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a medium (500 galons) pond , and I am planning to upgrade my pump.

Currently I have a Beckett 325 gps pump, that goes to a 2000 gph external Bio-Filter with UV and everything goes to a waterfall. My water is cristal clear and fish and snails look happy.

The reason for the upgrade is that I want to increase the waterfall flow (because my Kois are getting bigger), and also I want to divert some water into a death spot I have before a water stream that connects the medium pond with a really small one.

I have been looking around, and I narrow my search to 2 pumps, so I am asking for advice.

The PUMPs are:

LAGUNA Powerjet 900
900 gph, 65 watts

FISH MATE FM4000
1000 gph, 44 watts

The fish mate looks better on specs, but I want to hear form experience if there is anything else I need to consider, or any personal experience with them. Also suggestions on where to buy them (ebay, petsmart, where else??)

Extra information:
Distance:
PUMP-FILTER 3 ft
Filter-Waterfall 12 ft

Fish:
6 Koi (maybe 2 are going away)
2 Comets

Pond Pictures:
TOP view
FRONT view
Night View

The pictures are a couple of months old, today the plants are more establish in the pond, and the fish are bigger :S

Thanks in advance for the help..

Reaction score
I'd go with the Fishmate, due to the lower watts. Laguna does make good pumps, but I had one that didn't make it 3 months. All are hit or miss.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply kirscp :wink:

I also think the better choice is the Fish Mate, at least on specs. But I am afraid that maybe specs are not accurate, or when hooking it up to my filter the flow will drop considerably especially for the energy it says it uses.

Last week I returned a Laguna Powerjet 600 (585 gph, 32 watts) because the flow performance was lower than my current pump, Beckett G325A (325 gph, 50 watts).

Ask a Question