Pump selection guide/article?

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Is there a sticky or thread anywhere with some recommendations for specific brands/styles of pumps?
Usually when I start shopping for something I go to Amazon and read reviews, but that can be a crap shoot.

I'm planning a partially above ground pond, rectangular say 4 x 8 not counting the bog 3.5ft deep, about 800g, a few goldfish say 4, plenty of plants, and a bog filter that doubles as a wee spillway maybe 4-6" wide.

Is there a good submersible for this?
Is there a certain website a lot of people use?

JBailey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Same question goes for liners too. I think I will need 15 x 20, but is it best to buy locally and pay markup, or buy online and pay shipping?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Same question goes for liners too. I think I will need 15 x 20, but is it best to buy locally and pay markup, or buy online and pay shipping?

For liner, 45mil Firestone EPDM - where you buy it depends on whether you have the brawn and the vehicle to pick it up and load it up, or whether you want it delivered. More or less, it's the same difference. Liner costs are pretty well in the same ballpark (cost per square foot). Don't cheap out on the liner, it's the whole basis of your construction.

As to pumps, I've used AquaScape AquaSurge pumps for a couple of years now and haven't had any problems with them, the warranty is good and they stand behind the warranty. Looks to me like a 2000gph is your best bet for the dimensions that you've laid out (I haven't taken feet of head into consideration), but the 2000gph model should allow you to tone it down, or scale it up.

JBailey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I guess I will check pricing either way on the liner. I sold the truck when I sold the horse, but maybe it could fit in my outback.
Thanks for the pump rec. I will add it to my homework list.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I'm kinda partial to Laguna pumps. The made-in-Italy ones, either Max-Flo or Powerjet. My oldest one is now about 13 years old; I had to replace the impeller about two years ago. This pump runs 24/7, 364 1/4 days a year!
John

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorite pump. The one thing to keep in mind is the operating cost. Mine uses a lot of electricity but in the grand scheme of things it isn't much.

JBailey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Everyone has their favorite pump. The one thing to keep in mind is the operating cost. Mine uses a lot of electricity but in the grand scheme of things it isn't much.

Yeah, I am definitely checking power usage, since we run power for the barnyard circuit and have 2 freezers and a shop fridge running all the time. Every little bit helps.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Most circuits blow (or trip) not due to the actual electrical load, but the increased load of start-up (ie. compressors coming on in refrigerant cycles, etc.). A pump that runs 24/7 is not the cause of breaker trips, but the ancillary stuff that's running off the same circuit. It's not the total volts, it's the total amperage that trips circuits.

Make absolutely sure that your design incorporates a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter).

Pond pumps don't use a lot of electricity. Your main concern should be pump quality and total gph, not the actual power consumption of the pump itself. My pond runs two pumps (one for each biological filter attached to the back of the waterfall feature), a 2400gph and a 3200gph. Overkill, sure......but I need the flow for the waterfall size.

I don't like the "kink-free" hoses. They're easier to install and manipulate, but they tend to be brittle and can crack over time. I prefer the tougher, less flexible hoses. Using tees and elbows allows you to configure them in any way you need. Incorporate quick-connects into your design as they save a lot of time in servicing and in maintenance.

Everyone, as it was said, has a favorite pump line (Laguna, AquaScape, PondMaster, etc.). Buy the warranty, keep the pump clean (ie. free from intake obstructions). Clean the intake often to ensure that the pump is running at its optimum rate. Submersible pumps are thermally-protected, whereby they'll shut down if the motor works too hard due to a blockage or reduced intake rate.

Pumps should be elevated off the bottom of the pond. I'm not a big fan of pump pre-filters as they tend to need to be cleaned too often, and when it comes to my own pond, I tend to be a bit lazy. Look for a debris-handling pump and let the filter system you decide upon worry about the filtration aspect.

JBailey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Buy the warranty is always good advice. I'd rather pay more upfront than complain and pay ever after.

I'm running a new circuit that will handle the dog house heater, a brooder coop for chicks, and the pond. Should be plenty of juice since we had a new subpanel pulled for the shop last year. It's all GFCI because I always err on the side of 'worst case scenario' when i run wiring.

So far many of the pumps I've looked at pull at least 100 watts, so that needs to be factored into total load for that circuit, even though there isn't an initial start-up load. In winter I might be running the kennel heater, heated water bucket, chick brooder, pond deicer, extra heat lamp, etc which adds up fast. Right now my main hen house is on the same circuit, but I will probably split that off to it's own.

I'm planning a raised bog filter, so might do a pre-filter for big stuff only. The pond will be in a high traffic area, so easy to remember to do clean outs (fingers crossed).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I will be buying a pump in the upcoming month or so for my first pond project. Estimating 2800 gallons. What the thought from everyone regarding the submersible solids handling pumps from laguna or aquascape. In terms of energy cost specifically, I have no idea what to expect on running a full time pump. Can one of those pump enough for a sand/gravel diy barrel filter? Don't mean to hijack the thread it just felt relevant.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For that volume pond, the rule of thumb is to move half the volume of water every hour. For your application, (ie how for the pump has to pump the water vertically), you're looking at a 2000gph pump, to be on the safe side for turnover and for volume. AquaScape makes a good pump, go with the AquaSurge. Others have their preferences, I use a lot of AquaScape pumps. Good warranty. No problem returns, etc.

Ask a Question