pump size- flow rate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Hey,

Thought I’d ask for some advise before I go out an get my pump.

I have two ponds connected with a stream/brook. My hope is to have a waterfall feature at the top of one pond, the water passes through pond 1, down the little stream into pond 2. Here it is taken by the pump back up to the fountain to go round again.

I've tried to get all the information and just wanted to go through if any one has any advise.

So pond 1 - the higher pond - is the following:
Top shelf - 7ft x 5ft x 0.5ft
Lower Shelf - 3.5ft x 2.5 ft x 1 ft

Using individual measurements I worked this at at volume of 496L and 248L - total of 744L which works out to 164 Gallons?
Or an average measurements of 991L - 216 Gallons.

Pond 2 - Top Shelf - 8ft x 5ft x 0.5ft
Lower shelf - 3ft x 2ft x 1ft

Using individual measurements I worked this at at volume of 566L and 127L- total of 693L which works out to 152 Gallons?
Or an average measurements of 1132L - 249 Gallons.

Adding the two would make 2123L - 465 Gallons.

I have heard for the flowrate of a nature pond, as I wont be having fish, only normally needs to be half the volume rate so it rotates it in 2 hours? So I would need a 1000Lph?
Lastly it was mentioned if the pond receives 50% of sunlight through out the day to consider increasing this.

So would 1250 Lph (possibly higher if I want it to be a fountain/feature too) be enough?

Can any one tell me if I have worked this out correctly. I have attached my workings out if you can work them out.

image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Reaction score
I would shoot for a pump in the 500 gph range, minimum. I imagine you will pump from the bottom pond up to the top pond? To do so you will have to pump the water up hill a bit. This will cause the pump to have to work harder, and it will not flow the full advertised rate. The distance it has to push the water up is called "head". It also looks like there is a good bit of distance between the ponds. Running water through a hose all that distance causes a good amount of resistance. You might find that a 500 gph pump might only put out 250 gph by the time the water makes it to the output of the hose. Keep in mind a waterfall flowing only 250 gph is going to look pretty sad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
I would shoot for a pump in the 500 gph range, minimum. I imagine you will pump from the bottom pond up to the top pond? To do so you will have to pump the water up hill a bit. This will cause the pump to have to work harder, and it will not flow the full advertised rate. The distance it has to push the water up is called "head". It also looks like there is a good bit of distance between the ponds. Running water through a hose all that distance causes a good amount of resistance. You might find that a 500 gph pump might only put out 250 gph by the time the water makes it to the output of the hose. Keep in mind a waterfall flowing only 250 gph is going to look pretty sad.

Ive been looking at the hozelock. Originally just the cascade an feature, but now looking with filter so it might keep it clearer. I didn't think my ponds were big, although I suppose combined they may be. But from what you've suggested I would need the top of the easyclear model?
http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/Aquatic data/Easyclear/EasyClear-data.png

Reaction score
The concept that a pump should move some percentage of is a completely made up thing. There is absolutely no science behind any of the numbers that people pull out of thin air. It's like someone saying they like mustard on their hotdog. They may think it's some kind of rule and that people who use ketchup are subhumans, but it's just an opinion.

The pump size is related only to what your goals are. Like for people wanting a lot of big fish in a small pond might need a huge pump and turn over the pond 10 times per hour to keep the fish alive. Where a pond with just a few fish or no fish doesn't need any pump at all. With connected ponds, to have flow between them you could use the smallest pump you could find and it would be enough. So then it's just a question of how much flow you would like for looks and/or sound. It's purely for your enjoyment. You can even turn the pump off when you're not around.

For example a kept a 5000 gal multipool pond with maybe 50 Goldfish and 6 Koi using a 900 GPH pump. It could be off without any problems.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If you want to see what 250 gph looks like just use hose your garden hose. They are around 300-400 gph ( this can vary by pressure, hose size, etc.) but if will give you a sample anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
If you want to see what 250 gph looks like just use hose your garden hose. They are around 300-400 gph ( this can vary by pressure, hose size, etc.) but if will give you a sample anyway.

Thanks everyone for your help...

Been considering things and finally got a 9000 litre hozelock pump and filter.. Tested out this afternoon with part of the feature and looks like it may be coming to a successful build..

Couldn't have done it with every ones help..
image.jpg
image.jpg

Ask a Question