Pump size overkill ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Just looking for ,,reassurance maybe lol
We have an approx 1000 Gallon pond and just building a waterfall..
Now atm i have a 1000GPH pump,, that goes into the bio filter then into the back of the waterfall box.... i found that the desired effect was diminished,, but seemed much better when the pump went straight to the box ( bypassing the bio filter).

I figured it would be beneficial for me to buy a bigger pump, and increase the hose from the current 1" to a 1 1/4"..
The pump arrived today and it looks wayy bigger than i thought it would..lol
thanks guys :)

pond.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
HARD TO judge a pump by its hose size what is the gph of the new pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
ahh sorry,, the new pump is the tetra 1900 gph pump (sorry i thougth i added that in).. not sure if its needed ,but the pond size is 9 x7 with a depth of just under 3ft

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
ahh sorry,, the new pump is the tetra 1900 gph pump (sorry i thougth i added that in).. not sure if its needed ,but the pond size is 9 x7 with a depth of just under 3ft
I do think that would be a good size, I have a 1200 gph in a 600 gallon pond and it has been of course a bit of overkill, but a really nice effect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would guess that trying to pump too much water through a bio filter that is not rated for that flow rate would simply result in reduced flow. What is the max. flow rate of your filter?

BTW, the waterfall in my thousand gallon pond is fed by a 4000 GPH pump through a bio filter. (one that is rated for 4000 GPH.) Overkill? Maybe, but it's what the previous owner installed and I'm pretty happy with it. It sure seems to be very effective at filtering. And it makes for a very large lively, and noisy, waterfall. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond is almost identical in size (9x7) and depth (3 ft max, average of about 2 ft) with an estimated total volume of around 700 gal. I have 2 waterfalls -- a main one that's about 5 ft above the pump in the skimmer box, and a smaller one that's only about 2 ft above the pump. They're both fed by a 4100 gph pump. I'm pretty happy with the flow at the moment, but wouldn't mind going to a slightly bigger pump at some point in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The bio filter i have is a model "CPF 250" and the instructions say its rated to 4000Gal

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely not over kill, you should be shooting for 1.5-2x your pond volume turnover per hour.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bio filter i have is a model "CPF 250" and the instructions say its rated to 4000Gal
What brand is your biofilter? Is it a pressurized canister type?
You say its rated to 4000gal, is that max pump size or pond size? Most canister filters list pond size with and without fish loads. CPF is not necessarily the brand but the type of filter. I found several that show the cpf as rated for 500gph pump max.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The pump size is a 1900gph..my pond size is 1000 gallon.
Not sur if this helps hit this is basically the bio filter I have.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pump size is a 1900gph..my pond size is 1000 gallon.
Not sur if this helps hit this is basically the bio filter I have.

Looks good for pump size then.

Ask a Question