Pump size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

New to the forum so "Hi" to everyone.

I am a bit of a novice to ponds but I have a wildlife pond in my garden - measures around 22ft by 10 ft, maybe 2.5ft deep. I have an OASE 8000 pond pump (ECO) which is great for powering the waterfall/filter but struggles to power the OASE in- water surface skimmer - it works but not brilliantly. I would like to add another pump to power the skimmer and maybe also another small feature - I have a small rock with hole drilled through so may pump some water through that as a feature - a gentle force required for that. I have no concept of what size (or is that strength?) pump - 3000, 6000, 8000 etc. I genuinely have no idea!

Apologies in advance for being such a novice!

Thanks all,

B

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You will want to purchase an additional pump that will retain the effectiveness of the skimmer. Considering that your pond's capacity is 12,500 - 13,000 liters and ideally you should completely circulate (turnover) this capacity 1.5 to 2 times per hour, you need minimally an additional 11,000 - 12,000 LPH flow. A second OASE ECO 8000 pump, though short of providing the additional flow that you really need, would be a step in the right direction and provide ample flow for the skimmer to properly function.

Ask a Question