Pump sizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am putting in a 15,000 gal pond with large water feature I am looking at a 17,000 gal variable speed pump. I want to know if the extra cost for the variable speed pump is worth the cost. I want large flow for the water fall. I am also considering a ultima 2 bead filter any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
how about 2 pumps , if one breaks , other will still work , you can shut one if u dont need at times

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am putting in a 15,000 gal pond with large water feature I am looking at a 17,000 gal variable speed pump. I want to know if the extra cost for the variable speed pump is worth the cost. I want large flow for the water fall. I am also considering a ultima 2 bead filter any advice would be appreciated.

If you plan on having fish, which I trust you are, you will need every bit of that 17,000 gph flow for an adequate flow rate and depending on stocking levels, maybe even more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you plan on having fish, which I trust you are, you will need every bit of that 17,000 gph flow for an adequate flow rate and depending on stocking levels, maybe even more.
I will be having fish quite a few eventually. Any recommendations for pump? I am looking at the Tusanami 19800 gph also. Thanks for your help

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is this a more energy efficient option? I am looking at the Tsunami 19800 gph variable speed as one option

Look into the Sequence Titan series pumps. Very high efficiency.
You really do not need a variable flow pump. Lower than indicated flow rates can severely reduce the effectiveness of biofiltration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sequence has a basket, but it's small. The large one is sold separately. Look at webbsonline. The idea on two pumps will save you money in the long run. We use two sequence pumps and two ultima filters. Keeps the power at 115 rather than 230, and in the winter we operate only one pump and filter after they stop feeding. Cuts the cost in half. Also you have two pumps in case one develops a problem, so you can continue filtering during the repair.

Reaction score
Bead filters haven't been considered very good filters for a few years now. In serious setups they're only used a pre-filters. Expensive to buy and operate compared to more modern choices.

Ask a Question