pump sizing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All.

We've started digging in earnest. I'm looking to the future and trying to decide on my pump(s).

I'm thinking the circulation per hour won't be critical for my my pond. The pond will be 800 to 1000 gallons but will receive 800 gallons per day of spring water. It will overflow 5' from my property- all according to code and already inspected by the county.
  • The pimps in the deepest part of the pond 3'
  • I'm planning on two waterfalls. Both will be 3' high. One will be the CRASH waterfall plummeting all te way from 3'. The other will feed 3 pools that will give the birds and bees somewhere to hang out. Tubing ~ 15'
  • Two spitting features. Tubing each ~6'
  • I will add some cheap little goldfish
Should I go with one or two pumps? Once I know that I'll be able to run those calculators out there to size them, but feel free to throw out some sizing estimates if you're good at that sort of thing.

20210706_064705.jpg

The white pipe is the underground spring discharge coming from my basement. Yes, God gives me 2000 gallons of fresh spring water per day, of which 800 go through this pipe. I'll have two valves so I can discharge into the pond our right behind the gap in the cinder blocks. The cinder blocks are to build the waterfalls. I purchased some "Rock on a Roll" to hide those cinder blocks and pond liner. The pond will be 2' deep at those cinder blocks and 3' deep to the right of this picture.

20210709_080654.jpg

A far shot showing the 10'x10' pond destination surrounded by 2x4's and the patio destination behind the gate.

20210709_080640.jpg

And another far shot with our temporary digging canopy.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Couple things watch putting your pumps in the deep part of your pond if you get a Leak or water is diverted out it can empty your pond. Either boost the pumps up off the bottom or put them in a skimmer/negative edge/intake bay.

I would use two pumps if you are going to have two waterfalls, as well as a couple spitters. Have a y and valve in the line to control how much water goes to each feature to achieve the desired look. The pump for the waterfalls can be sized by the width of the waterfalls and the look you want to achieve on both.
You will have 5-6’ of head pressure, factor in any plumbing elbows ( use sweep 90’s), and usually to create a decent white water effect from your waterfall you would want to push 200-500 gallons per inch over it ( depends on type of waterfall edge ie flat rock/jagged rock/round rock)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm surprised that you can have water flowing in and out of a pond and not be concerned about the fish that you put in your pond getting introduced into the waterway. But maybe I'm not understanding the set up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm surprised that you can have water flowing in and out of a pond and not be concerned about the fish that you put in your pond getting introduced into the waterway. But maybe I'm not understanding the set up.

How do fish escape a pond? Mine would have 2 flop about 200 yards to get to a drainage ditch.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
800 gallons per Day is a leaking toilet valve ok maybe one that was ignored for a year but none the less. This video shows the first waterfall with 1000 gallons per HOUR divide that by 24 hours and it realy isn't much water to worry about but i would loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to have i'd never have to worry about rain collection or water timers again. so long as you make the over flow area nice and wide and long there won't be enough water for the fish to get out of the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'
You have a discharge pipe for the overflow. Fry and eggs can go thru that. You don't want to be introducing fish to a native waterway.
i'd do a very wide and long negative edge that dumps into a stone dry area. that way if fry or babies do end up going over they are trapped with no water

Reaction score
Country
United States
800 gallons per Day is a leaking toilet valve ok maybe one that was ignored for a year but none the less. This video shows the first waterfall with 1000 gallons per HOUR divide that by 24 hours and it realy isn't much water to worry about but i would loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to have i'd never have to worry about rain collection or water timers again. so long as you make the over flow area nice and wide and long there won't be enough water for the fish to get out of the pond

A picture is worth 1000 words but that video is worth a million. Thanks- that really puts the pump size into perspective!

Ask a Question