PUMP sizing?

Reaction score
The liner i have is 15'x15' and designed at that measurement to be 3.5' deep i also have a 5'x10' liner that i am using as a biological filter and stream/falls area i was wondering with this setup and a rubbermaid "TOTE" like the storage ones biofilter what size pump do i need? i was trying to look at some comparable sized ponds but i just got confused :yikesu:

ALSO I KNOW THIS IS A SORE SUBJECT but what kind of prep would i have to do under river rock if i wanted to line my pond with it? I know it is bad and collects waste but is there anyway to prevent that? I have seen many ponds on here with the lining of rock on the liner and they look gorgeous, I was just wondering if this is luck or good planning?

P.S. i got some shuby's to replace my KOI that was eaten and i love them they are like mini KOI's ha

Reaction score
there is no way to prevent this. Rocks have crevices in between them, and poop/food/detrius will fall in between and just lay there and make keeping good water parameters a nightmare.

The only way to do this is to lay a coat of cement and push the rocks in so that there are no crevices. Of course, this is not for a liner pond, but only for a concrete pond. And even then, not having a smooth bottom will be a PITA. I've seen folks have to use a broom to stir things up and pray it goes into their pump/filtration.

Reaction score
noobfisher said:
anybody on the pond pump sizing?would 1500 GPh suffice

if your pond is 1000 gallons then yes. the pump should be able to do at least the pond volume per hour at your head heigth. but with head pressure and pipe size that can be lowered a lot. so your 1500GPH pump might be only putting out 1000GPH if u have a waterfall and are using 1in pipe. it all has to be taken in to account.

Reaction score
i want to use 3/4 piping and am going to make a diverter at the waterfall out of PVC and drill a bunch of smaller holes in it capping off both ends.

Reaction score
noobfisher said:
i want to use 3/4 piping and am going to make a diverter at the waterfall out of PVC and drill a bunch of smaller holes in it capping off both ends.

3/4in piping is way to small. go with a least 1.5in for that pump and you will get much better flow. i have no idea what your talking about for a diverter. for what? what are you trying to do here? how big is your pond and what is your filter setup?

Reaction score
the diverter would be a DIY type deal to "spread" the water across the rocks and i had no idea i had to go with that big of tubing ha ha, I will be doing some PVC'ing i guess or do they make it in flexible type? With the diverter i would basically get a piece of PVC and cap off both ends then drill a bunch of holes in it to spread the water wider across the rocks for the waterfall

Reaction score
yes they make flex pipe. i would get the flex pipe as you would need less fittings, every fitting or angle slows the water flow. and be sure none of the rocks are in the pond. bad idea there. your PVC idea there sounds like it would work for spreading out the flow a bit. i have done the same for the sump pump in my basement where it come out the side of my house. i didn't want a stream like it was and it was hurting the yard.

Reaction score
yeah i didnt want the water to just flow in one stream down the waterfall, so i came up with this DIY idea and will have to see how its gonna work, maybe do a write-up on it

Ask a Question