Pump Sock/protector

Reaction score
Anyone use or have an opinion on a pump sock? I have a dual discharge submersible pump I just got up and running (early this year). Been in a week and clogged with debris and a frog :( already. Called the pump manufactuer and they suggested a "sock". Seems like a good idea.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Only thing is if the sock clogs up which I'm sure it will it could burn out your pump. I have set my pump in a plastic pot w/ holes drilled in it and then packed rolls of filter fiber media around the pump and that worked pretty good but I got tired of having to pull it all out of the pond and clean it. I didn't have to do it that often and it didn't clog the pump if I waited to long but the media sure was full of nasty crap when I pulled it out each time. You gotta make sure that the fiber stuff that surrounds the wall of the pot is tight tho so no fish get sucked up through the drilled holes. And you have to pack a round circle of the stuff on top w/ the hose coming out the top to the waterfall if ya have one so they don't get sucked up from there either. I used it that way for yrs and it worked pretty good except if I didn't get the holes covered w/ the filter stuff a little fish would get stuck now and then. Right now I just wrap some netting stuff like from an onion bag around the inlet of the pump a few times so little fish don't look like they would fit through and call it good. It doesn't clog up as long as the netting has holes big enough for the pump to suck water w/o clogging.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the collapsable clothes hampers from the dollar store. They are mesh fabric on a metal frame and spring open when you open them up. They have cloth handles on top I just tie around the hose and cord.

Reaction score
The collapsable clothes hamper is a GREAT!!! idea. With the dual discharge I think it will work. For less than $15 it is worth a try.

How often are you cleaning it and thanks so much.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a couple dollarstore mini mesh baskets...cut the apppropriate holes for hoses and elecrical cord. encase the pump and ziptie them together. two mesh planter baskets for underwater plants will work very well as well. theyre about $3.00 each...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That works too koiguy. I use that for my small pumps and the cloth mesh hampers for my larger Laguna pumps. I have never had to clean them. Hampers sell for $1.

Reaction score
Mrsclem
Just returned with the collapsable hamper. It took a minute to "install". I just tied the end to itself and it closed almost completely around both hoses. I got a package of two (black and white) for 11 dollars. Couldn't have been easier. Just saved me $ on a pump sock.

Do you replace every year or can ya get a couple of seasons out of it? I'm in Mass so the pump runs from March/April to Nov.

My pump is a Little Giant dual discharge that moves 4250 gals/hr as an FYI for anyone who is looking for a similar solution. Thanks again!!!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been able to get 2 years out of them. Last year we had the pond netted all year so no need for the hampers but I'm using them this year already.

Ask a Question