Pump suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi,
After about a year of distractions I am back on my pond design and doing some preliminary pump research (e.g. how much is this pump gonna cost me?). I am still working through the details and specifics but, for the sake of my research, my criteria are a 2000 gal. pond, a very roughly calcualted head of 14', and for simplicity sake a 1-time-per-hour turnover rate. I am desiring an external pump.

There seem to be so many pumps out there and researching is a daunting task. Searching for comparison charts gives me information on only what that particular seller sells. Then there is the concern of quality, "Is this, which looks like a good contender, really of good quality?"

Given all of that I ask you - those knowledgeable and experienced - Which pumps would you suggest (or, not suggest) to help me start with a list shorter than my current one which is titled "All pumps which are available for purchase"?

Thanks,
Randy

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i'm a submersable pump user myself. but i think you'll find, in the external pump arena...Sequence brand pumps are highly rated and reccommended

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have an external pump (sequence) have had it for about 9 or 10 years running 9 - 10 months a year 24 hrs a day with absolutely no issues what so ever. I highly recommend this brand. It is expensive but worth every penny, I don't really notice the electric that it uses which is somewhere between $20-$30 month.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a sequence too, it is a great pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a harbor freight pump 2100 gph and after the sale and coupon I paid 59 dollars .Does use 150 watts .I just got laguna max flo and it is 2900 gph and use 115 watts .I paid139 dollars for it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
harbor freight one can be external also .Laguna one does not say .

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
You have a 14 foot static head. You need to choose a pump that will handle that and still get you some flow. I do not know what sissy's head is. Good pump documentation gives you a chart mapping flow vs head. HF may not do that.

Reaction score
HTH - True, yes, and I agree. I have just found the task of searching and chart maps reading quite daunting. Not finding a grand master list of pumps and their specs I was hoping to maybe save some time/effort by asking the community hoping to hear back from others who have a similar setup and what their input is. If I were able to determine Sissy's pump then I would look at the specs for it to see if there is a match. Honestly, given my setup, and the somewhat questionable quality of HF's products, I doubt I would find a match through HF but any lead is worth searching.

I have looked at Sequence pumps, based on the positive feedback above, and am finding their cost more than I had (loosely) budgeted. I realize the sometimes cost reflects quality and am sure that is the case here but I will probably have to see what other manufactures come in second and third to Sequence. Does anyone have any suggestions of pumps which would follow closely to Sequence's reputation?

That 14' of head has really bothered me and is a result of an odd layout I am planning for the Settlement Chamber-to-waterfall run. For the past day or so I think I have adopted some changes which would result in a head of about 5'. I just need to go eyeball the area, get a good mental image, and see if it will work. Hopefully it will and, if it does, I get a shorter head, better drainage lines for components, shorter electrical run, and better use of a probably otherwise dead corner under a bay window bump out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:37974]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:37975]this is the 4 th season for mine but I never turn it off even in the winter here .You have to look under garden stuff on harbor freights sight

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is for now buy what you can afford and then buy up .I bought mine and got the warranty but so far not a problem .I have bought 6 pumps from them and have yet to have a problem .Thing is I needed a bigger pump .I gave 2 of the others away to neighbors .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:39001]this is one of the pumps I gave away it was 920 gph and cost me 29 dollars

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Had to do it sideways sorry .

Attachments

• pond pump 001.jpg
    pond pump 001.jpg