Pump tripping the GFR

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I have a stream/pond with two waterfalls. I just started the pump for the stream/waterfalls after the long winter. My 5-6 year old ShinMaywa pump runs for about 1-2 hours then trips the GFR receptacle. I tried it on two different receptacles, replaced the usual receptacle. Still does it. Does this meant the pump needs to be replaced?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and have you checked your electrical panel to see if the breaker is bad .Or also checked to see if a mouse or something could have chewed through your house wiring .I had a mouse chew a wire that kept tripping the breaker that' s why I thought of that and also have had breakers go bad .One was loose and had to be replaced and one was bad .

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Could indicate a faulty connection on either end or a fault in the electrical line. Before checking for any of the above be certain to turn off your breaker. There is a possible internal electrical short in the pump but I suspect my first suggestions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are you over loading the circuit breaker .Is it a 15 or 20 amp breaker .I have done that by accident ,plug to many things in and it would trip the breaker half way

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Are you over loading the circuit breaker .Is it a 15 or 20 amp breaker .I have done that by accident ,plug to many things in and it would trip the breaker half way
I don't believe that the circuit breaker is tripping. vg569 mentions the GFR tripping, I think that he was referring to the GFCI which is built into the outlet itself. These are required on all exterior electrical outlets by local building codes. They are there primarily to prevent accidental electrocution and are designed to trip when there is any sudden change in current flow in either the live or neutral line.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's right it's the built in GFR in the outlet. As I said, I tried it on another gfr on the same circuit and it tripped. I've used the same circuit for many years without a problem.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I didn't question the gfr part but figured it was a typo .So it could be the pump and can you clean the inside of the pump ,I know grit can get in parts inside and make them trip .Also does it have a trip over ride like the ones they sell like the smart pump ones .I don't know much about that brand of pump .sorry .Have you inspected the cord and plug .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I checked the cord it looked ok. I will see if I can clean the inside of the pump. Otherwise it looks like I need a new pump. Thx everyone for your interest and advice.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I actually have had the same problem. My pump that has been running off the same plug for months started tripping the GFCI switch. I moved the pump to a different plug and the issue has stopped. Someone did tell me that once you trip a GFCI plug so many times it has to be replaced since it trips more easily. Not sure if that's true but it's what I was told.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
5 - 6 years is a pretty good life span for a pump. ShinMaywa is one of the better brands, but even the best only last so long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my lagunas say you should clean them good at least twice a year and if pond is dirty every couple of months

Ask a Question