Pump trips circuit

Reaction score
We have an Aquascape setup and the pump has been working fine for 4 + years. The pump is a Model SFA 3000 2900 gph.

A few days ago the power tripped. I reset it and it runs for a few seconds before tripping again. I have had the pump out of the water for a few days to dry out although I am not sure this will help.

I'd appreciate ideas on how to diagnose and fix the problem.

Thanks very much,
Richard

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
welcome to the forum mkuzi47 i,m not an electrician,but i would try to plug it in a different out let with a power cord , ground fault breakers get weak ,,,,it might help narrow the trip down....delbert

Reaction score
Is there anything new running on that circuit??? If not and the pump runs but blows the circuit, try running an extension cord from another plug on a different circuit. Plug your pump into that.If its doesn't blow the circuit and nothing new is on your existing circuit you could have a weak ciruit breaker. Usually very inexpensive and very easy to change. If its hard wired you have to go about it a little differently. let me know what you got.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
No brainer, replace the pump. It happened to me several months ago. It is draining too much current because the field winding has shorted, this is causing the GFIC to see a short.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Bypassing the GFI did keep it running. Now I hear a noise so I agree with DrDave that it is time to replace the pump. It;s an aquascape 2900 gph. I gather that;s not the best. Any ideas on what to get and where to find one?

Reaction score
I have a Laguna Pressureflo 3200. Mechanical/biological with UV-C sterilizer. Works great. Cost about $500.00

Ask a Question