Pump tubing

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting in bigger pipe from my pump to my falls running thru my skippy. What do most people do for there plumbing? Do you hard pipe it using PVC or do you use flexable hose? Getting the PVC to bend around stuff isn't a issue, just want to do what would be the least resistance. I have a 3600 gph pump but only have a 1 1/4 hose coming off and feeding the set up. I figure 2" PVC will create more water flow. Last year when using a 2100 gph pump my falls seemed to looking good with plenty of water. I was using a 1 1/4" flexable hose connected directly to the out flow on the pump. Didn't need to use a hose barb, the hose just fit snug on the outside of the fitting. This year using the bigger pump the falls seem to be running a bit slow.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used a 2" pvc coming from my skimmer to my external pump then it leaves the pump and goes to a 3" pipe before splitting to the various creeks/bog and it enters each of those with either a 2" pipe or a 1.5" .

Reaction score
I normally only use rigid PVC or ABS. Had a case once of raccoons biting a hose and pulling the pump out of the skimmer. I assumed he was feeling around in the skimmer and thought the hose was a fish as it would be vibrating and this hose was thin so would feel like a fish.

But really, I use rigid pipe only because I've never used flex PVC.

I do sometimes bend rigid PVC to make custom sweeps complete with bell ends. I got the idea from these guys. It's way fun. Doesn't work with ABS and it is harder the larger the diameter, sand temp has to be more even.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I was a electrician for 6 years I learned a lot about bending pvc pipe. Bending 4" pipe is a chore but it can be done. When I ran my pvc water line to my pond, I used a blow torch to heat the pipe to make the bends.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Pond.pngWB.....The specs on my pump says I can use a 1 3/4 ID hose or 1 1/2 PVC pipe. I think I'm going to use PVC pipe with a female adapter screwed on to the top of the pump and do a no hub coupling in the skimmer box for easy access. Will I lose a lot of friction loss from using the PVC running slightly up hill until I get to my skippy set up with a 90 and then 2 more 90's? I will make it so the water line can be drained in the winter with out any issue. Here is the link to my pump and a drawing of my pond and lay out.

http://www.lowes.com...archQueryType=1

Reaction score
I was a electrician for 6 years I learned a lot about bending pvc pipe. Bending 4" pipe is a chore but it can be done. When I ran my pvc water line to my pond, I used a blow torch to heat the pipe to make the bends.
I never had a big enough torch (not a body part metaphor thank you very much). I've used a propane torch on 3/4" and it's a bit iffy. Too hot and pipe collapsed, kink in the bend, etc. The sand deal is like magic. The sand keeps the pipe from kinking pretty much.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Waterbug,
I have 2" Flex PVC running about 44' from my pond to the top of my stream, easy to use and bend. Loved it. The seller I bought it from on Ebay claimed it could handle freezing solid without breaking, haven't tested that as I let it drain last winter and blew air into the opening before capping it. Pretty sure there was some water in the line, but not all the way through. i like it so far.

Ask a Question