pumps and chemicals

Reaction score
have aprox 400 gallon pond.4 baby koi.1 baby lionhead,1 grown black morre,4 i think fully grown pond comets.the pond is new i have pics on face book.i have had all but the kois and lion head for 3 yrs in smaller pond.i have never used chemicals as well as never had nothing but a filter in the pump.was hard to keep last pond clean due to amount of fish.i now have 2000gph pump for wterfall filter system and 550 gph pump in deep end of pond.should i be running anything in the pumps?i cant find nothing on this.i have used the stress coat to start the pond to remove clorine.any suggestions?

Reaction score
Are you having trouble now? Or are you just wondering what you should use from time to time?

As for chemicals, always use declorinator when you change yor water. Premixed it in a bucket if you can before adding it. The only other commonly used chemical is a bacterial supplement.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used to use Microbelift pl and barley extract to the pond when I first started but for the last two years I have only used barley extract every couple of weeks and the pond is as clear as it has ever been and my water numbers are near perfect.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
cl2smith said:
dude thats a beautiful pond grat job! thanks for the info.

Thanks. The pond was a lot of work. I tore out the small pond and creek and just made a longer creek, had a hard time keeping it clean and algae free as it was only about 16" deep max. I also redid the waterfall last year to make it more like I wanted it. The work never ends as I am in the process of drawing up some changes to it for next spring, this will require another pump and filter set up. UGH!

Reaction score
the waterfall is still my issue i am always tweaking it due to water loss and looks.getting better now thank god, but it keeps me busy.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
waterfalls are that way, tweak until you have them where you want them. My bog has kept my stream and pond algae free, working better than I thought it would

Ask a Question