Pumps and Flex PVC -- is a "fitting" conversion necessary?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a question for those of you who use FLEX PVC [which is just a flexible form of regular PVC pipe, for those who don't know].

How do you connect your pump to the PVC pipe? I haven't converted yet [still using the corrugated flex tubing], but it occurred to me that making this connection might be an issue.

I'm trying to remember what my pump [Home Depot] looks like, but I'm thinking it has a screw-on adapter thingy [female], but honestly don't know if it accepts standard PVC fittings. If it does, then I'm good-to-go. But if it doesn't, how creative wil I need to be? I will be using 1-1/2" pipe/tubing.

image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This is a picture of a 1-1/2" female slip fitting (no threads) to male threaded (with threads) fitting.
Your pump looks like it requires a female slip to female threaded fitting in order to hook up to flex PVC directly.
IMG_0612.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had to use one of those barb style fittings - don't ask me what it's called, I just remember the "barb" part! The amount of plumbing knowledge that I don't have is pretty astounding I learned!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Here is a picture of a female slip to female threaded adapter, 1-1/2".
For a sealant on an external pump, I use Pipe thread dope, with teflon (pictured).
For a submerged pump, I probably wouldn't use any sealant.

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a question for those of you who use FLEX PVC [which is just a flexible form of regular PVC pipe, for those who don't know].

How do you connect your pump to the PVC pipe? I haven't converted yet [still using the corrugated flex tubing], but it occurred to me that making this connection might be an issue.

I'm trying to remember what my pump [Home Depot] looks like, but I'm thinking it has a screw-on adapter thingy [female], but honestly don't know if it accepts standard PVC fittings. If it does, then I'm good-to-go. But if it doesn't, how creative wil I need to be? I will be using 1-1/2" pipe/tubing.

View attachment 80303

If the outflow of the pump is 1 1/2" MPT then all you need is a 1 1/2" slip/FPT PVC adapter. Unfortunately, you may not find this adapter locally and may have to order it on-line. It is available as I have ordered them in the past.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, to quote Roseanne Roseannadanna, "Never mind...." :whistle:

I did some spring cleaning this afternoon (mostly repotting, fertilizing, and rearranging lily's), so decided it was a good time to take a look at the pump.....

Duh! Look at my previous connection!! LOL! So, NEVER MIND! Obviously I already had it figured out in a previous life, I guess. I'm an idiot....

:ROFLMAO::LOL:

image.jpg

Ask a Question