Pumps and power outages

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well -- it looks like most of our state is under the gun tomorrow. Severe thunderstorms, tornadoes, hail, widespread power outages expected.

Should I unplug the pump tomorrow? Just wondering if the power getting knocked out and then going back on will be any problem...

Could it get fried?

Or just leave it going and hope for the best?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Is your outlet GFCI. If it is then no need to worry because any surges will trip it and protect your pump. If not, for future protection look into having one installed . Even better if at circuit breaker box than all outlets would be protected.

If not protected and you're worried I would unplug it.. better safe than sorry.

Hope the storm passes without causing any issues.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know that anyone would install a non-GFCI outlet outdoors, would they? Or maybe that's my ignorance talking! I know it's building code here that you have to have GFCI outlets near water indoors.

Reaction score
GFCI provides no surge protection. Isn't what they're designed to do.

Surge protectors do that. I think there are combo GFCI/surge devices, but not commonly used.

But then surge protectors don't really offer much protection from lightning. There are other systems for lightning protection...but even those can't always work. Lightning is kind of a huge amount of energy.

Would someone install a non-GFCI outlet outdoors? You kidding? You should see the stuff people do. For some reason many people, with zero experience, think they know better than government building code. We are very clever animals but not very smart.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do you have some way to deal with a power outage? Storms shouldn't be an issue unless there is a lightning strike. My main concern is always what to do if power is off for an extended amount of time. Not sure where you are located but this weather is going to affect a lot of people!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are we talking about a pond with such a high fish load they'd die without a pump? That's pretty unusual.
This is my new-ish pond. It's been up and running for about a month. 9 x 12 x 3 to 3 1/2 deep. Two 5" goldfish and four 1" goldfish. There are a few plants, but not a ton yet.
The outdoor outlet is GFCI.
We live in a very old neighborhood with lots of trees. When there is weather like this, it's not unusual for trees to take down power lines.

I suspect the fish will be fine. I'm more worried about having to replace the expensive pump.

And I'm REALLY worried about the tornadoes. Yikers. Let's hope the whole thing is downgraded.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With that amount of fish you should be fine. The only things I unplug with thunderstorms are the electronics, TV, laptops, security cameras,etc. Pumps should be fine. Tornados, that's another problem! Hopefully your weather won't get too bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
With that amount of fish you should be fine. The only things I unplug with thunderstorms are the electronics, TV, laptops, security cameras,etc. Pumps should be fine. Tornados, that's another problem! Hopefully your weather won't get too bad.
Thanks!
We are in GA -- pretty much the whole state is in the #4 zone out of 5 in severity. Yuck. Luckily, it's spring break, so all the peeps are home. We have our little "Harry Potter" closet under the stairs ready if need be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Are you getting a ton of rain @bagsmom? it blew through here pretty quickly this morning.
Yes! Backyard is full of standing water in low spots. I have the shop vac out to suck up the water coming into the garage.
Second and third wave of storms this afternoon and evening is supposed to be "more robust." Eeeek!

Reaction score
Glad you posted this, We are supposed to get hit hard tonight too. Guess I better run up and fill the gas tank and fire generator up to make sure it runs. I lost too many fish our last power outage to take a chance again.

Reaction score
That size pond could probably support 100x as many fish of that size without any pump. Unplugging it should protect it if you're concerned.

If you want something to be concerned about you could measure KH. Really low KH and lots of rain (which has a pH in the 2.5 to 5.5 range) can drive KH to zero and crash pH. Fish don't like that too much. But that's just if you need something to take your mind off twisters.

Ask a Question