Pump's included outlet adapter has bottleneck

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

My pond pump (Alpine PUR5400C) has a 2" outlet but came installed with an adapter (part 14 in the diagram below) that's screwed onto that outlet. The adapter's outlet is also 2" but I noticed there is a 1 or maybe 1.25" "bottleneck" in the middle of the adapter. Since I am using a 2" hose, I removed that adapter and connected directly to the pump's outlet.

My question is whether or not that was a bad idea? Does that "restricted" adapter produce some sort of needed back pressure and if so, why would they bother going from a 2" outlet to a bottleneck back to a 2" outlet instead of just building the pump's outlet as a 1.25" outlet and then supplying an adapter that goes from 1.25" to 2"?

Screenshot_2017-04-24-08-53-40.png

Thanks,
Johnny

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You will need to ask Alpine about the purpose of the restricted flow adapter. I can't see any reason why what you have done would harm the pump. Mag drive pumps are pretty durable pumps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My guess is that it was provided to fit different size hoses. I like to run mine at optimal diameter; but as @Meyer Jordan suggested, ask the manufacturer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks @Meyer Jordan and @Tula for your replies. I wasn't sure if this was a common thing with pond pumps since this is the first pond pump I've ever owned but sounds like it's not how it normally is. I'll contact the manufacturer as you've suggested. Thanks again.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
Although what you did should not cause a problem with you pump.

On the adapter if you choose to use it is you cut off the part of the the end.
Say it starts at.1 inch and goes down to 2 inch, and you have a 2 inch line you simply cut off all the way down to the 2 inch and eliminate the bottle neck.
Makes it.easy to disconect if you need to clean pump or what ever.

Ruben

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
Although what you did should not cause a problem with you pump.

On the adapter if you choose to use it is you cut off the part of the the end.
Say it starts at.1 inch and goes down to 2 inch, and you have a 2 inch line you simply cut off all the way down to the 2 inch and eliminate the bottle neck.
Makes it.easy to disconect if you need to clean pump or what ever.

Ruben

The outlet without the adapter is threaded so I just need to unscrew from the check valve assembly to disconnect the pump for pump servicing. That's why the inclusion of this 2" to 2" restrictive adapter makes no sense to me. I've contacted the manufacturer to see what they say is the rationale for this thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you are talking about the adapter they put it in different sizes for different sized hoses and you just cut off the extra pieces like said .The only pump that I have gotten that did not do that was laguna .They give you 3 different sizes .A 1 inch a 1 1/2 and a 2 inch adapter .The cage looks like laguna ones also

Ask a Question