Purple hardy water lily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know a couple folks here have this lily and I read it is purported to be one of the worst bloomers, so I thought I'd ask those that have it about their experience re blooming. I'm hoping someday when the prices come down to perhaps get one of these but if it is a tough one to bloom, that fact might change my mind.

I know with all the snow/winter, this is 'summer dreamin' but well, better than speculating on winter snowfall amounts!

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Really a relatively new hybrid and one that can be a little unstable from what I understand about this amazing hybrid. I seriously doubt if any member of this Forum has a Nymphaea "Purple Fantasy". The current price is somewhat out of many people's budget. Although I have never seen one, I have been avidly following its development over the past few years.
This hybrid is purportedly hardy to Zone 5. This puts you at the uppermost range of its hardiness and may have something to do with its blooming habits in addition to its unstable genetics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have two. They do bloom. Not a lot but the flower is a deep purple and pretty. Very slow grower. Ie will take forever to need to divide.

I don't baby it

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have two. They do bloom. Not a lot but the flower is a deep purple and pretty. Very slow grower. Ie will take forever to need to divide.

I don't baby it

Are you sure that you have the Hardy lily. This is a relatively new hybrid and it is the only purple water lily classified as 'Hardy'. It is unique.....and very expensive ($80.00/tuber). There are several Tropical hybrids that are blue/lavender/purple.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My hubby got me the Turtle Island Trio, blue , purple and fuschia. Very expensive, this was the 2nd year with them and they all 3 bloomed! The purple one seems to be growing the fastest of the three and may actually need divided next spring. Not a lot of flowers but the tubers were very small when I got them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Meyer, Addy for responding. I was surprised to read the one opinion and that's why I'm looking for other owners to get theirs.

Meyer; I just checked yesterday and the current price seems to be north of $90 and that's 'on sale' so I won't be getting this one any time soon. Also, I read where there's a patent and that means I won't get any divisions soon either, which might also derail the train. And yeah, I know I'm on the edge of survivability, another reason I'm taking my time thinking on this one.

Addy; I thought it was you (at least) that had one and glad you can give me your thoughts. Would you say it blooms half as much as your others? Do you classify it as a 'poor bloomer'? And, have you investigated how 'healthy' the plant looks after having it now for X amount of years?

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My hubby got me the Turtle Island Trio, blue , purple and fuschia. Very expensive, this was the 2nd year with them and they all 3 bloomed! The purple one seems to be growing the fastest of the three and may actually need divided next spring. Not a lot of flowers but the tubers were very small when I got them.

Thanks Ms. Clem for your thoughts as well. So, you'd say it isn't a great bloomer? I'm glad yours is at least growing well.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you sure that you have the Hardy lily. This is a relatively new hybrid and it is the only purple water lily classified as 'Hardy'. It is unique.....and very expensive ($80.00/tuber). There are several Tropical hybrids that are blue/lavender/purple.
Dear honey paid around 100per tuber as a present for me................this was its second summer. Called purple fantasy.
IMG_1742(1).JPG
IMG_1756.JPG

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got several blooms form the blue and purple ones. only 2 from fuschia. The blooms lasted for 4-5 days but opened really early in the day and were closed by 3pm. Purple was the best of the 3 for putting out blooms. 6-7 blooms this year but were not fertilized much. They recommend fertilizing every 2-3 weeks. I'm just glad they survived the winter!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine open early and stay open for a long time. Late into the day. It surprised me. I made sure they were deep enough, the true hardies seem do to fine even if a bit shallow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol hubby surprised me with it. Can't be mean and say are you CRAZY!

Ask a Question