PVC cement question

Reaction score
I just glued together the lines for my pump and filter for my stock tank. How long do I need to let them sit before I put them in the water? I used the purple primer and the cement. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I've always assumed that since the PVC cement is rated for human drinking, it was pretty safe around the fish. The cans your cement came in should have a guideline for how long it needs to set up before being put into use. Worst case, 24-hours is almost always a good bet.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If the temps not bad outside i turn pressured water lines on in 15 min

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have used PVC for airlines in machine shops. We glued fittings and less than 15 minutes later pressurized the lines with 125PSI and the fitting and glue held. It was a warm day so that helped. I agree with DrCase, if it is cold or damp, you need more time.
I think the methylene chloride used in the glue requires some time and air flow to purge the fumes.
Beware, methylene chloride is a suspected carcinogen.

Reaction score
when i worked for a plumbing company we used solvent pvc cement all the time, never used it on drinking water supply's just waste and overflow, my boss always told me to think twice before glueing ! as it doesnt take long to get a grip then it's never coming off, wouldnt have bothered with using primer, we never used it, just gave the fittings a wipe with a cloth and rubbed the end of the pipe with some sand paper !

Ask a Question