PVC help

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is so dumb but I must be doing something wrong. I thought I was fine at doing PVC connections but I've had three ball valves leak on the short side (left in the picture at the link). I'm using this ball valve with 1.5 inch schedule 40 pvc, priming, then gluing, and all three times there's a small leak. None of the other connections I've done are leaking. Maybe I need to let it set a full 24 hours before using it? I've been letting it sit for 4-6 hours usually. This is actually for an above ground pool not my pond in case that matters.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is the assembly horizontal or vertical? If vertical, check to be sure it isn't the valve leaking with the water trickling down making it look like a bad connection. Are you using slip couplings?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is the assembly horizontal or vertical? If vertical, check to be sure it isn't the valve leaking with the water trickling down making it look like a bad connection. Are you using slip couplings?
It is horizontal, but you know I'm not sure how old my glue and primer are. Might as well get some more, and wait 24 hours next time. Hopefully I don't need to spend another $30 on ball valves...

Reaction score
Country
United States
So were the cans previously opened then stored? The shelf life is immediately shortened once the can is opened. I only buy enough for the job because I've never had good luck with old glue and primer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And definitely wait a full 24 hours. I usually put the glued piece in and give it a 1/4 turn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
can't say i have ever waited more then 30 minutes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
can't say i have ever waited more then 30 minutes
even for piping under pressure?

[edit] I stand corrected; apparently, 2 hours to cure. Go figure. I've always waited a full day for anything I'm concerned with, but, live and learn!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes even for pressure. If you send pressure through thats strong enough to blow it after a half hour then more then likely your going to have bigger problems than your joints. Humidity and temp can slow down drying time so its a case by case by 24 hours is certainly excessively safe

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The biggest no no people do is not use the cleaner they look at the fitting and say it's clean what do it need that for. IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK.. use the cleaner it has become such a problem so many not using it inspectors not demand a colored cleaner be used so they know it was done protecting the buyer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I rarely wait more than an hour or two. On a critical joint with over 100 psi on sch 80 pipe I waited 12 hours. I also use old glue if I have it on minor joints as long as it is spreadable without aa problem.

Clean well fitted joints are important. PVC pipe cutters should be used for clean cuts. If using a saw care must be taken to remove all PVC particles and inspect and clean the rough cut.

Reaction score
I don't wait over an hour either. You might be better off gluing a short section of pipe and then connecting it to the main pipe with a Fernco or glue a coupling on. Those valves are expensive as you know and after 3 valves you don't want to buy another one.

Ask a Question