PVC liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
I constructed my pond mid march this year. I used a 22mil pvc liner that claims to have a 15 year life. The stuff is very tough. I have stacked very large rock right on the thing in several spots, and my 80lbs pitbull has been in it numerous times. No holes from this summer, knock on wood. I bought two of the liners, and intend to add on. The hole is dug and prepped, and I'll be installing the liner tomorrow. If the seam seals, itll be just over 2500 gallons. My seams will be in channels of shallow water...i hope it holds.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Good Luck!

As you know pvc isn't the best, but with that thickness it should hold up a few more years that the normal stuff. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not used pvc before. i had some i used to wrap a large mechanic tool box that would be out in the back of a truck every day it held up . no experience with it in a pond.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUILD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I had very bad experience with PVC liners. I found they rip and puncture easily and get brittle within a few months. My guess is the sun's UV light might be the cause of them drying out and getting brittle. I don't live in a highly sunny area either. I'm in the northeast of PA.

I had a major rip in the bottom of my pond in the dead of winter. I had to wait until Spring to replace the liner. Meanwhile I had to keep adding 300 gallons of water per week. It was horrible.

I hope your experience is better than mine or perhaps you have a better quality PVC liner. My liners were bought at Lowe's.

I will now only use EPDM or HDRPE.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really hope I dont have those problems. This particular liner seems to be very tough. I cannot just rip it, and I tried on a scrap I had trimmed off, to see if I could puncture it with sticks. It takes a real beating and stays intact. I suppose extreme cold could make it more brittle. I'll find out!

Reaction score
Country
United States
New section is filled. I spent a lot of time seaming this section to the old. I'm pretty confident itll hold. Two canals 8 inches deep and 18 inches wide connect two side of the old to the new. I have a 650 gph pump forcing water into the new area through one canal, which makes the other bring the water back. Flow is great. I also have a 2000gph pump bringing the water through my bog area. My design has the big directly connected to the main pond area. The fish can swim into the planted sections.

I found it very cool to watch it fill to the point the fish could swim into it. They went for it fast! I have some cleanup work around the edges and I'll post some photos. I'm proud of how this is looking.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
New section is filled. I spent a lot of time seaming this section to the old. I'm pretty confident itll hold. Two canals 8 inches deep and 18 inches wide connect two side of the old to the new. I have a 650 gph pump forcing water into the new area through one canal, which makes the other bring the water back. Flow is great. I also have a 2000gph pump bringing the water through my bog area. My design has the big directly connected to the main pond area. The fish can swim into the planted sections.

I found it very cool to watch it fill to the point the fish could swim into it. They went for it fast! I have some cleanup work around the edges and I'll post some photos. I'm proud of how this is looking.
Nice work and can’t wait for photos!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rain. Lots of rain. Clay. Lots of clay. I'm chomping at the bit to finish this area, but I cannot even walk up to my pond edge without having 20 pounds of clay stuck to my feet. The new section is functional but ugly. I have a lot if work to do as soon as the ground dries up some. The fish love it. I am repeatedly reminded of how much fish think. The overflow from my original pond was known by the fish. The new section right now is just a corner I let the extra water run over. The koi are really interested in the new overflow spot which scares me. So far so good, none of them have committed suicide, but I really need to make a fish blocker section. My main goal for this add on was to give the fish a really deep area for cold winter weather. Deep section is right at 4 feet. The other area in the new section is 3 feet. At least I know the fish are happy. Seeing them swim from the old section into the new is really rewarding. Once the weather allows me to finish the landscaping, I'll post more pictures. BTW, all my seams are good so far. It was not easy to seam. I have two "canals" that are roughly 8 inches deep to allow the fish and current to flow in and out of the new area. I have 600gph flowing through the new area. The old area I will make my bog.

Attachments

• 20201022_140527.jpg
    20201022_140527.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20201022_140511.jpg
    20201022_140511.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 105

Ask a Question