QT area - what do i need?

Reaction score
OK, i know i need a QT area for new fish. (it appears the previous owners never QT any new fish)
I think i will use a rubbermaid type tub - 150 gallon or so in size.
If this is ONLY going to be used occasionally for QT of new fish or sick fish, what other equipment do i need?
links to vendors would be nice :)
thanks in advance!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was just going to post a similar question, so will let mine tag along with yours [but in a separate post].

Right now I have a kiddie pool [5 or 6' diameter??], that maybe holds 100-150 gal. It's shallow, but all I have are goldfish. I made a small trickle tower filter for it, and have a small fountain pump inside for added water movement, as well as a couple of small air stones. Probably overkill. Then got some advice [from here on GPF] on ways to COVER it with netting. Covering is important for 2 reasons: keeps the fish from jumping out, and keeps predators from getting your fish.

I would say get a thermometer to monitor the temps, esp. in the summer -- mine was so shallow that direct sunlight was heating the water more than I wanted.

Doing it over, I would go with the Rubbermaid stock tank [100 or 150 gal] just because it's deeper. Nothing smaller.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a question regarding minimum QT size for koi.

What would be the absolute MINIMUM gallons, and absolute MINIMUM depth?

I will ALWAYS have goldfish, but have the opportunity to add a couple of butterfly koi -- I KNOW that the QT set-up I have now is inadequate.

Reaction score
Mmathis:
I am guessing that the answer to size of QT tank will be dependent on size of fish? Does it matter if they are koi or goldfish? or should it be dependent on size of the fish?

Thanks for adding your question to the thread - now we wait for answers!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, as koi require more room -- depth as well as overall space. At least, the larger the fish, the more room they'd need. Or, you could go with less space, but amp up on the filtration/aeration.

Ask a Question