QT for my own fish?

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
2 years ago, I got a rescue koi from one of the golf courses here. He is in a 40 gallon tank and is about 6 inches long. He has been healthy since I got him. Never done anything for him except feed him and clean his tank. He has always been alone in the tank. His name is Koi, I know, how origional.

A year ago I built my pond. 2000 gallons. I stalked my new pond with koi. Two 24''+ fish and 8 fingerlings. The larger fish spawned twice. Currently the 8 fingerlings are about 10 inches long and I have about 10 babies from the spawning.

I have one baby that is Dark Black with very very long butterfly fins. His name is Toothless from the movie "how to train your dragon" because he looks just like the dragon. However the other day when the dog was getting a drink out of the pond he got a little spooked and I got to see his belly. It is fire orange.

This fish has lived his whole life in my pond. Eats very well, and is a very active fish. He is 3 inches long and I think would make a great companion for Koi, my indoor fish. I am thinking if I put him in the tank, I will be able to see his belly quite a bit more. (This will only be for the winter, in the summer I will put him back in the pond because my pond fish seem to grow so much more quickly).

So the question is, do I have to QT my own fish before putting them in a common tank. Or before I bring him back out to the pond. Can fish carry KHV and Koi pox without showing symptoms and then pass it to other fish causing health problems? If that is possible how would QT even show that you have a problem?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally I would not bring a fish in from the pond and add it to a tank with fish already living in it.

Yes, fish can carry parasites or disease and not show it. Many people will treat a fish in quarantine with a broad spectrum antiparasitic medication as a normal part of the quarantine process.

Ask a Question