QT QUESTION -- USING KIDDIE POOL

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What SIZE kiddie pool should I get to QT goldfish?

Had planned to convert my 100 gal Rubbermaid SKIPPY into a QT, but progress is slow. So decided to try a kiddie pool. Decided on a hard plastic one, so did some research (I know, OCD!), and think that the one I got holds about 100 gals. I think it's about 4' in diameter and looks to be about 6" deep.

Will that work OK, or should I get a bigger one? I plan to place it in a shaded area and have it covered to keep fish in and critters out.

Bought a small pump for circulation and will also get an air pump and air stone. I plan to "salt" the fish and do water changes, so shouldn't need filtration, is that correct?

Reaction score
How many GF are you holding in the pool? I can tell you a 60" plastic kiddie pool (about 12" deep) holds 100 gallons of water FULL ... that's what I used last year for fry.

It also did well with about a dozen fish (koi and comets) at a time with a small fish tank filter (70 gph rating) while I was selling some off on Craigslist. I was doing 10-20% water changes every couple of days. I only had it set up this way for maybe 2 weeks tho, so not something for long term ...

Also ... since a plastic kiddie pool is shallow ... screw 5-6 sheet rock screws into the rim, to hook some type of deer netting over it, so no one can jump out if spooked ...

This pic just shows a net over some babies in a kiddie pool ... I was hoping to find one showing the screws ... will hop onto facebook to see if I have anything there...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think I'd get one that was deeper than 6" TM. 12" would be the shallowest I'd go myself. Water will stay a bit cooler in a deeper one.

Reaction score
Having used both a 6" kiddie pool (dog wading pool) and an 18" tote, I vote for deeper. Oh, and as of my most recent experience (this morning), bird netting does not make sufficient predator deterrent, even with the netting draping all the way over the sides and onto the ground around the tub.

Major grumbles .....

I read today, to take some something fairly rigid, like a trellis, lay it on top cut to shape, then drape the bird netting over the top, down the sides and around the edges. I really need to improve my research. Before the fact.

More grumbles ......

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would go deeper as well, we are getting way to warm already and only 6" of water is going to warm up fast even in the shade. I use a fiberglass kettle pot that holds about 250-275 gallons of water and a full time DYI filter. Right now it's housing 12 goldfish in the 5" -10" range and doing great. BTW, Three of those may be going home with you. They were pulled about three months ago and have been in there since. they are the three best wakin I got in from the last shipment. all three are red and white's but they are really nice!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
capewind said:
How many GF are you holding in the pool? I can tell you a 60" plastic kiddie pool (about 12" deep) holds 100 gallons of water FULL ... that's what I used last year for fry.
Ooooops, faulty research on my part! I think I was looking at a SnapSet, but bought a hard plastic..... How many fish? Maybe 1/2 dozen or so..... haven't been "shopping" yet.

koiguy1969 said:
A $12.00 "INTEX" BRAND SNAPSET POOL HOLDS 265 GALLONS ...6' ROUND 15" HIGH....ANY WALMART, KMART., MEIJERS ETC..WILL HAVE THEM. THE 8' ROUND 18" DEEP ONE HOLDS 550 GALS FOR $18.OO
Yes, I think this was what I was looking at, 'cause I recall that something listed as holding over 200 gals!

gardengimp said:
Having used both a 6" kiddie pool (dog wading pool) and an 18" tote, I vote for deeper. Oh, and as of my most recent experience (this morning), bird netting does not make sufficient predator deterrent, even with the netting draping all the way over the sides and onto the ground around the tub. Major grumbles .....I read today, to take some something fairly rigid, like a trellis, lay it on top cut to shape, then drape the bird netting over the top, down the sides and around the edges. I really need to improve my research. Before the fact.More grumbles ......
Good thought! GG, what happened?

fishin4cars said:
Three of those may be going home with you. They were pulled about three months ago and have been in there since. they are the three best wakin I got in from the last shipment. all three are red and white's but they are really nice!
Happy Dance :) Happy Dance :)

And to all, THANKS A BUNCH for the input! I will go for a SnapSet. The one I got is only 7" deep according to specs. It looked deeper than that at the store -- sheepish grin -- See, that's why you guys [or should I say, y'all] are such a great bunch: saved me [and future fishies!] from myself!!

Reaction score
So, when you get it home, do some thinking about how to protect it from herons, and ....... raccoons. Yesterday morning, I walked out to death and destruction on the front porch. I had the 18" tall tote on the front porch, under cover, and up against the house wall. I had bird netting that I took off one side of the pond, doubled and draped over the top of the tote, dangling down the sides and onto the patio. My guess is the raccoon jumped up to the lip on the tote? At any rate, it seems the raccoon went into the water in the tote, two dead baby fish found outside the tote. One intact, one head removed. Body outside the tote, head inside the tote. Water everywhere.

Now I'm thinking that it must be a raccoon that is contributing to my missing pond fish. I'm seriously thinking about getting a Trail Camera, so I can set it up pointing towards the pond and see just what is going on. As well, I could use it out in my veggie garden to figure out what (now I'm thinking it's more than one what) is digging up my tomatoes and okra.

Tote is just inside the front door now. Hubby is real happy about that. I'll have to make sure he's not around to see me doing water changes or he will really flip. I'm not exactly smooth with a bucket of water.

I've been doing some reading on raccoon protection, Dr Case on here has one of probably the best methods, and that is making a floating PVC pipe frame with plastic netting zip tied to it. Float it in the pond, or the QT. It needs to go edge to edge, the raccoons apparently don't go under it. Shakaho (Sharon) uses the same technique. Another option is a fence that is rigid at the bottom , then has a floppy section at top, so they can't climb over it. And of course, a hot wire. I know Addy has said she doesn't want to use a hot wire, I found one article from the Humane society that recommends a low voltage hot wire as a humane solution. One article recommended planting a lot of sedum around the pond, as raccoons don't like the squishy footing.

Oh, and you asked about filtration and stuff.

My tote only holds about 15 gallons, maybe 18. My smallest pump is 100 GPH and it just creates too much water turbulence for baby fish (IMO). I did have it sitting in the tote on the porch, with the output stuck into a holey container stuffed full of scrunchies and clamped to the rim of the tub. I would turn the pump on for about an hour each morning, the idea being to help get gunk of the bottom of the tote. Otherwise, I run an air pump rated for a 20 gallon tank full time. And do daily 10% water changes.

I subscribe to school of thought that all retail fish have Ich. So, I treat all my retail fish with salt. For three weeks. Then a week of transitioning to pond water. I use this article that Charles pointed me to for reference. Since I'm using .6% salt, I don't bother with a bio filter. And the only plant that lives through that is algae, which the baby fish actually love to have in the QT with them. They hide in it, munch on it, and it's probably beneficial for them. I do daily 10% water changes (2 gallons a day, so actually a bit over 10%). At least once a week 20% water changes. After the raccoon fiasco, I dumped all the water from the tote and restarted it.

I don't think fish you get from a trusted person need to be prophylacticly treated, that's just my opinion though. YMMV.

Oh, new fishies for TM! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
I am wondering how large the box is for the 8' pools. Wondering if they fit in the car. Town car has a fair sized back seat and trunk.

EDIT: It is only 8lbs so I expect it must be rolled up or folded into a neat little package.
Hubby is going to order the 6' one for me -- AMAZON PRIME, free shipping :)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Mmathis said:
Hubby is going to order the 6' one for me -- AMAZON PRIME, free shipping :)
Cool The 8' one is $24. I may need one or two. Would be a good investment if they do not age when stored away. I would think vinyl and PVC would be OK out of the sun. The 8' stock tank has the lilies we divided yesterday. Today was a bust.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3007]

My wife gave me an IPOD Touch yesterday and I wanted to try out the camera. If you like uploading pictures take a look at dropbox. If you have a camera on something with wifi it automatically uploads the images to the net and then back down to your computer(s). It will do the same with a cell connection but I would not suggest it if it will cost you money.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
We ended up getting 3 8' snapsets pools/ponds from wally world. We used two for lilies and one is now is housing the single tailed and tripod goldfish that we have been to weeny to cull. Some of these guys are just to nice but others not so much.

The water is intentionally green as the green water algae is consuming the ammonia in that there is not bio filtration. Ammonia and nitrates get checked daily. This was taken immediatly after a 3/4 or so water change. It is not a perfect system but it is a lot faster to get green water going then to cycle a filter.

Can't get the youtube link to work "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Size 14.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got a SnapSet initially, but it bothered me that the sides were so easy to collapse! Of course, I didn't have it totally level -- could that make a difference?

Anyone have a problem with this (collapsing walls)? I switched to a hard plastic pool, which is smaller, and I really need the extra gallons!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I would go for deeper around the 3ft depth mark, you'll need a flter to handle the water Quality they do some really strong ones ,
We saw one yesterday that was perfect on our charity shop surfing day.
Dont knock those shops they are good at recycling things plus you know all he money is going to a darn good charity .

This is exactly the pool we saw :-

http://www.target.com/c/pools-water-slides-sports-outdoors/inflatable-swimming-pools/-/N-5xt5eZ55oqq

A little expensive brand new but strong an durable ,
However one word of caution here, as I note they are made in China so you dont kno what the plastic would do to your fish in sunlight.
I know the lids I wanted made were toxic to our fish so I didn't bother as you cant control what they make them out of .

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question