Quarantine(Does my fish have Ebola????)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Steve ours get a two month QT period before they even get near the pond we have a 550 imperial gallon self contained with its own filter UV-C and bottom drained QT tank, anything looking a little off in the pond and then we have the koi out scrape it then look under the microscope for any parasites .
Any parasites then we treat the entire pond

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Dave
usually do pretty much the same thing unless I am starting a new pond. Those shots of my filter are a refinement. Before that I used long 50 gal tanks. Each tank on the filter can be individually controlled. I like the valving; makes me feel like a fish hatchery.

For the new people; having places to put new arrivals and any problems that arise puts you in control fast and if you are playing around with air shipments its really good to have your fish in a small place. The round portion of the filter is where I usually start. Its about 3 feet deep and the fish go round pretty stress free.

Glad you mentioned the Microscope. With the internet Its pretty easy to be your own Ichthyologist. I'm pretty good on gill autopsies.:inpain:

If I get big problems I go to the larger quarantine tanks. They double as fancy goldfish tanks. The walls are 1/8 inch steel, plastic coated and bottoms are cement. They hold 4000 gallons and I keep them about half full. Looks like HG Wells Time Machine movie with these being the entrance to the Morlocks. Its really easy to net big slow fantails if I need a tank. Half full keeps predatory wild birds out. Ones I have full seem to attract Greyhound puppies. Doesn't seem to bother the fish.:)

Steve

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMAG1133.jpg
    IMAG1133.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMAG0200.jpg
    IMAG0200.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 319
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I see you have a multi bay filter with Vortex a good choice my friend , ours has three 32" vortex style filters on it , it would have been four but one sprang a leak which was replaced by a large blue plastic drum so basically the same as your own but seperated grom each other and joined by 4" pipe supplied by a 4" bottom drain the first is just a vortex the seconf two have Jap atting in them and the last we run with K1 bio balls and bio chips , we run three airstones to the secomd and third filters and six to the K1 filter filter 2 also has zeolite rocks and filter three a large sack of Kusuri Lythaqua .
The air to supply these comes from an Airtec 40e with another one supplying the bottom drain bubbler .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I used to use the vortex filter on a large pond I had up about 10 years ago. I had an urge to put a big hole in the earth and spend a lot on clay (bentonite) to seal it. It held about 250,000 gallons and I had to keep it full with my solar windmill pumping system. Way too much work, but I learned a lot about filtration. My pump bill was $50 a month just to run the filter. I sure grew some big Koi. Down side was all the migratory birds put me on the list, (yes the Blue Heron like to eat the colorful expensive ones first.:mad:)

At any rate that area became a barn after I brought in a couple of 40' containers and put a gambrel roof over it. No more giant ponds for me, that's a young man's game; but I did it. My mentor owned Koi Breeders in New Berry springs, He had about a half mile up in ponds. The big Scott and I were friends. He was about 15 years older and retired to Hawaii after he sold out.

That vortex filter comes in handy and keeps me from dumping a pond if something goes wrong. I usually just use it for isolation tanks.

As I was explaining in my original blog about a different approach.
my latest goal is to not spend $$$$ pumping water around. After all
being an energy consultant I do walk the walk.

To date my pond efforts are 10 small ponds instead of the big one, and I don't pump any filter water. It makes use of the flowing water from the springs, which I augment once a week in the summer with the solar windmill. I can get buy without the solar windmill, but the extra water freshens the ponds and makes the fish more lively.

I realize my situation is unique, but using gravity filters really cuts down on pumping costs.

Attachments

• IMAG1132.jpg
    IMAG1132.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 279

Ask a Question